Semi-transparent or solid stain for house siding?
Question 
Our house is 35 years old and has cedar siding.  I've stained it several times, always with "semi-transparent" stain, and it's time for another treatment.

I'll be using a Graco airless so it won't take long but I'm wondering if I should use "semi" again or go with solid???
Confused

(Side note: good possibility we will sell it in the next year if we can build our "empty nest" house {and separate shop!} )

So which should I use?

Any brand recommendations?
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I've always heard that solid lasts longer.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Solids last longer is what I've always been told by the paint stores as well.  I used "Super Deck" on my daughter's playhouse four years ago in dark brown opaque/solid.  It's at the point now where it's needing another face lift.  The roof especially.  I believe it was oil based and that's what I prefer for the exterior stains.  Maybe the water based stuff is better now but there's just something about oil based stains that logically sounds better at repelling water.  The OB stain does penetrate very well into the cedar.  Old painters use to add BLO to their OB primer for a longer open time and "deeper wood penetration" as a result.  Can't say for sure....

I like the solid color stains best for siding. The one I use is from Sherwin Williams. Look for it on sale as they regularly go for 30-40% off regular price. Plan on two coats.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
In our neighborhood there are a number of cedar sided houses. Early on, most were staining the siding. Most needed to be redone yearly. They also needed repair work done to the siding periodically. EVERYONE with the cedar siding eventually switched to painting their siding. I helped the guy next door paint his house at least 20 years ago. It has not been repainted since, and has not needed any siding repair. It's probably due for repainting, but still looks OK.

Bottom line, I like the look of stained wood siding, but would paint it nonetheless.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
Wild Turkey,
I to have cedar siding that is 32 years old. From the beginning I use Olympic Oil base semi-tens. Then when that seemed to get hard to find I went to Cabot semi-solid oil then acrylic because the oil was hard to get. I just finished the house this week. I have switched to Sherwin Williams Woodscape solid hide acrylic. It was great to work with. Did my shop and house about 28 gallons worth! I had to replace a lot of siding on the SW side as it was in very poor condition. I think that the solid hide will provide more protection.
MSolid will provide more protection, but that's not why you bought a cedar house is it?

-Mark and hasn't painted his vinyl house(s) in 20 years.
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.