Best Height for a small lathe
I've got a small Delta lathe and am building a stand for it. I've looked at several sites but get conflicting info on what the best height should be. I'm thinking that the center of the lathe should be between my wrists and elbows when my arms hang straight down but I'd really appreciate any advice on this issue.  I plan to do most of my work from a standing position and will be turning small bowls, candlesticks, pens, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
Elbow height is pretty much the norm.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
I take my centerline slightly below the elbow.  About midway between the navel and xiphoid.  That way the handle is pretty much at the same angle as the groove formed by your fingers when the top of the thumb is in line with the radius.

In any case, it's easier to elevate the lathe on blocks than the turner on a riser.  Start low.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start low - as MichaelMouse noted, it's easier to raise using blocks than lower the stand.
Jim

Jim

I started in a wheelchair and knew nothing about the height and it was a bit high and I got used to it.
I know a few tall guys who turn much lower then their elbow since they learned that way and got used to it.

So before you make the stand put the lathe up on some blocks or whatever you have and try it for comfort and then make the stand.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks for the great advice. I built the stand and mounted the lathe - it looks to be exactly right. I ended up with the tool rest slightly below (maybe 1"?) of the height of my elbow and it seems pretty comfortable to use.  Now I need to learn how to turn something other than round spindles.........
Big Grin
Jim