Best sealer under poly?
What's the best sealer to use under poly?
I guess it will be water based poly.
I'd vote for de-waxed shellac.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(09-23-2016, 05:54 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I'd vote for de-waxed shellac.

Couldn't agree more.  De-waxed shellac is a universal base IMHO.  

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
(09-23-2016, 05:54 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I'd vote for de-waxed shellac.

Yep, yep!
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
+4 for dewaxed shellac.   Roll your own or Zinnser Seal Coat
I use SealCoat.  It is convenient and it dries in 20 minutes; re-coat in 30 minutes.  It also seals knots and odors, and adds to the finish build.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-28-2016, 08:20 AM)Cooler Wrote: I use SealCoat.  It is convenient and it dries in 20 minutes; re-coat in 30 minutes.  It also seals knots and odors, and adds to the finish build.

also adds some chatoyance to the wood and a bit of amber color that helps most w/b finishes from being too "cool".

I usually put on the SealCoat and sand to get out the roughness / raised grain.   Sands very well.
Slightly off topic but I just used Seal Cote on a small table I made for a lady who was adamant, "no VOC finishes."  So I ignore the alcohol given off as the shellac dries and put on 4-5 coats, sort of like a poor French Polish finish job.  White oak, so I could not get a glass smooth finish but it looks real nice.  Hope she is happy and does not let any wet things linger on the surface.    Tom
I went with Seal Coat. I got a quart at Rockler's for $16, with free shipping.
Nobody local had it on the shelves.
Believe it or not, Woodcraft was the only local supplier of seal coat that I could find....and I checked everywhere given the 30 minute drive. An Ace hardware store near me told me they had it but it wasn't "Seal Coat" just waxed Bullseye. Home Depot near me use to carry it but not anymore. I think I may start buying flakes and mixing my own.