India stone lubricant
What should I use for a lubricant with a Norton India oil stone? One person told me to use kerosene. I usually have diesel fuel or mineral spirits around but not kerosene.
I use Norton Honing Oil.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
I use a 50-50 mixture of kero and mineral oil, you can get the mineral oil in drugstores.  There's gas stations around that sell kero, I bought a gallon of it 5 years ago and am still using it, maybe got a quart and a half left.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-26-2016, 06:54 AM)Bope Wrote: What should I use for a lubricant with a Norton India oil stone? One person told me to use kerosene. I usually have diesel fuel or mineral spirits around but not kerosene.

I prefer mineral spirits...Kerosene and diesel fuel are both light oils...and as such will oxidize and turn to varnish In the pores of the stone over time. This ultimately causes the stone to be much less aggressive { Like paving over a gravel road }....Mineral spirits OTOH doesn't oxidize like light oils, it evaporates and wonT clog the pores...For those who object to the smell, I suggest using WD40. ....Just imagine how "plugged up" the pores in a stone would become if a heavy grease was used instead of a very light liquid...When honing, friction is your friend."Lubrication" is not...The only reason to use it is to prevent swarf from filling the pores of the stone.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Any light machine oil will work.  Be sure to wipe off between tools.
I used to use Marvel Mystery Oil before I got the water stones, diamond plates, and now CBN honing plates. 
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
At Jacks suggestion I have been using WD40 for years

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
I use Marvel Mystery Oil on my oil stones. Works great and smells good too.
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

Another Marvel Mystery Oil user. Use it on all my manmade and natural oilstone (india stones are manmade and are "oil impregnated" by the manufacturer, by placing in an airtight vessel, creating a vacuum by pumping out all air and then injecting oil, which fills the porosity of the stone).

I also use Spyderco ceramic stones, and it was recommended by a person on another forum to give those stones a spritz of water, and that seems to make those work better than without.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I've found WD-40 didn't seem to work as well as mineral oil. It didn't seem to  lift the swarf, slowing down cutting.   Mineral oil can be found at drug stores a good deal cheaper than honing oil. In large quantities,at farm supply dealers.
A man of foolish pursuits