India stone lubricant
3 and 1 oil. Cheap and does a good job.
Don
Thank you for the suggestions. My son's speed skating coach bought a jig and stone for club use and let me barrow it. She is the one that suggested using kerosene but form previous discussions on sharpening I knew her knowledge of sharpening was limited. I have some 3 in 1 around or I might dig up some mineral oil. What I really need to do is use this as an excuse to get some nice diamond stones. Doing skates you have to be very careful not to create grooves in the stone.
(09-26-2016, 07:31 AM)Admiral Wrote: I use a 50-50 mixture of kero and mineral oil, you can get the mineral oil in drugstores.  There's gas stations around that sell kero, I bought a gallon of it 5 years ago and am still using it, maybe got a quart and a half left.

+1 on this mix.  I wipe down the stone during use and re-apply occasionally.  Not terribly worried about the stone clogging in my lifetime as frequent and vigorous use should keep the surface reasonably clean.

I also have some diamond stones and slips of various make-up and use it on them too.

I do use baby oil instead of the food-grade mineral oil though.  Turns out that per-ounce, I could get baby oil cheaper at the $1 store along with some small squeeze bottles to use.  

Smells like somebody left a baby in the truck stop bathroom.

Interesting side note, somebody once told me that kerosene stored in a can the way you might store your mower gas can "go bad" in a year or two. "Bad" meaning it will absorb moisture and won't burn well as a lamp or stove fuel. I've not tested or this theory but it seems plausible. Doubt it has any significant bearing on its use on oil stones in the long run.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Yeah, important to wipe down the stone, forgot to mention that.  I use the small Dawn dish detergent bottles, just a squirt is all you need.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have went back and forth with Mineral sprits and Mineral oil mix, honing oil, and WD-40.

Currently using WD-40 from a gallon container.

WD-40 has a new squirt bottle that is super easy to fill.
LIL...

Doesn't hurt to run any of the India's through the dishwasher once in awhile either...keeps the pores closer to the surface open.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I'v aleays had a sneeky suspicion that WD40 leaves a residue when it dries that cloggs the stone over time. Anyone else experience that?
(09-27-2016, 11:50 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: LIL...

Doesn't hurt to run any of the India's through the dishwasher once in awhile either...keeps the pores closer to the surface open.

LOL, my bride would really love that..... I'd be sleeping on the couch for at least a month!
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-27-2016, 11:50 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: LIL...

(09-27-2016, 12:19 PM)Admiral Wrote: LOL, my bride would really love that..... I'd be sleeping on the couch for at least a month!
Laugh

Remember kids, don't try this at home.  Try it at a friend's home!
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Straight mineral oil and wipe occasionally. I use it on my India and corundum stones.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous