India stone lubricant
WD-40 does leave a residue after it dries. We used gallons of it to lubricate our variable pitch sheave assemblies on the old wire drawing machines. It worked until it dried and got sticky.
A man of foolish pursuits
(09-28-2016, 10:06 AM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: WD-40 does leave a residue after it dries. We used gallons of it to lubricate our variable pitch sheave assemblies on the old wire drawing machines. It worked until it dried and got sticky.

But even water leaves some residue...That's why I prefer a liquid that gases off like MS.
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

As far as cleaning them, I found that simply soaking them in Mineral Spirits over night works wonders. I also keep my stones dressed with a cheap Smith's 6" course diamond. The one I have is flat. I would not use it on water stones, but it has worked just fine on my hard Ark and medium India. Keeps them flat and fast cutting.
Not wanting to start a fight here, but I got rid of my collection of sharpening stones when I started using AO sandpaper. It has an aggressive cut and can be cleaned by whacking it on the bench. When it gets dull, I use it for cleaning up rust. No maintenance with sandpaper. Is there a real advantage to using stones?
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(09-28-2016, 10:52 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Not wanting to start a fight here, but I got rid of my collection of sharpening stones when I started using AO sandpaper. It has an aggressive cut and can be cleaned by whacking it on the bench. When it gets dull, I use it for cleaning up rust. No maintenance with sandpaper. Is there a real advantage to using stones?

Not when you make yourself a slow-speed horizontal belt grinder...with a huge assortment of belts from 80 to 1,000+ grit and a leather stropping belt.
Crazy
Crazy
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(09-27-2016, 12:19 PM)Admiral Wrote: LOL, my bride would really love that..... I'd be sleeping on the couch for at least a month!
Laugh

(09-27-2016, 03:43 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Remember kids, don't try this at home.  Try it at a friend's home!

Well, if you offered to wash the dishes once in a while, you would find it surprisingly easy to get away with.
Wink
Big Grin

(09-28-2016, 10:52 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Not wanting to start a fight here, but I got rid of my collection of sharpening stones when I started using AO sandpaper. It has an aggressive cut and can be cleaned by whacking it on the bench. When it gets dull, I use it for cleaning up rust. No maintenance with sandpaper. Is there a real advantage to using stones?

Economy over the long run.  Sandpaper wears out and constantly has to be replaced.  If you do a lot of sharpening, the cost can add up quickly.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop