Basic Wiring Question
I want to replace a properly wired incandescent bulb fixture in my basement to a fluorescent fixture.  The fluorescent fixture I have on hand is a "plug-in" type. I've never "wired-in" a fixture that was meant to be plugged into a receptacle.  This isn't a difficult task, I don't think, but  I want to be sure I'm doing the job properly.  I'd appreciate advice and guidance.  Thanks in advance.
Easiest way. Or change the the bulb fixture to a plug.

[Image: dsc_0424-e1471694105281.jpg]
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Yes -- and thank you -- but I've been unable to find the screw-in adapter shown in your photo.  And, if possible, I really would prefer to hard-wire the fluorescent fixture.
I do that all the time(but it ain't code). To do it by code, you need to add a box, terminate the original wiring in the box, run the wiring from the new light to the box and make the connections in the box and put the cover on the box.

I simply strip the wires at the old fixture, strip the wires on the new light(after removing the plug), add a shrink fit tube, twist the wires together(black to black, ground to ground, white to white---or simply the two wires if that is the wiring) in line, solder the connections, and slide the shrink fit over the soldered joint and heat.

All that can be done inside the housing on the new light for a cleaner look. I have dropped ceilings or surface mount lights.
I do what Mac described, but I usually also remove the pull cord switch that most of them have.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
This part is good 

"add a box, terminate the original wiring in the box, run the wiring from the new light to the box and make the connections in the box and put the cover on the box."  

The rest pretty much nonsense.  If you have romex you can pull it into the fixture use wire nuts to make the connections and use the ground
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(09-27-2016, 02:49 PM)Bob1 Wrote: . . . . . . . The rest pretty much nonsense. 

LOL, gee, Bob, tell us how you really feel!  
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
if you have a plain one of these, it's a straight swap-out.

(09-27-2016, 02:49 PM)Bob10 Wrote: This part is good 

"add a box, terminate the original wiring in the box, run the wiring from the new light to the box and make the connections in the box and put the cover on the box."  

The rest pretty much nonsense.  If you have romex you can pull it into the fixture use wire nuts to make the connections and use the ground

..or just replace the old fixture with a receptacle and plug the new fluorescent in.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
that too 
Laugh  although I don't like doing that because unless it is a single people always seem to plug stuff in that should not be on 14g wire

I have to admit I do that often with range hoods but I don't worry so much about people over loading a receptacle in a cabinet above a range
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.