Porch swing - what wood?
Not much else to add. Going to be building a few porch swings for friends parents. These will be free of charge. So while cost isn't my primary concern I would certainly like to be as economical as possible. What would you suggest for something that will still be durable and look good? I see a lot of them being sold around here in just pine. Will that hold up? Ideas please. Was leaning towards white oak.
-Marc

Western Red Cedar holds up well and is easy to work
white oak holds up very well -  
jerry
I have one on the front porch made from pine. It is exposed to blowing rain, but stays relatively dry. It is about 40 years old and just fine. It's needed paint for a while.
Instead of a single 2x4 cut down, it is made from 1x4's and 1x6's glued together giving it greater strength where it counts.
I suppose I would count 40 years as holding up
Wink
-Marc

What are your local choices?

Locally we might use Port Orford Cedar or Monterey Cypress because they are a lot more durable than the local pine, and although not common they are available at a sensible price.

Pine will last a long time as long as it's kept mostly dry. White Oak would be a good choice. Or what Cedar / Cypress type woods can you get locally?
Cypress if its available
I made ours from cypress finished with general finishes outdoor oil. It looks great after 7 years.
The best thing online is a fish.
the pine available today generally isn't as good as the pine from 40 years ago.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

If weight is no problem, WO. If you need it lighter, Cypress.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper