So Cal - Lee Nielsen Event
For those looking to escape the house this weekend, Lee Nielsen is having a free Hand Tool event.  Come out and talk tools and woodworking this Friday & Saturday.

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/hand-tool-events/USA/6

Join us at our Hand Tool Event® in Norwalk!
September 30 - October 1, 2016
Friday (10am - 6pm) and Saturday (10am - 5pm)

Hosted by Cerritos College
11110 Alondra Blvd 
Norwalk, CA 90650
Admission
Admission is free and open to the public.
I'll be there on Saturday.  I haven't been to one if a couple of years, so I'm looking forward to this one.  This time I'll remember to wear my Lie-Nielsen hat and not my Lee Valley hat.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I'll be in San Diego for the weekend. Family camping trip.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
As reported, I attended the show today.  Very disappointing.  The campus of Cerritos College is unfamiliar to me, and finding signs to the event, once on campus, was difficult.  It was tucked away in the interior of the campus.  But, I kept sniffing for wood and found it.  Not a lot of product there.  I know they don't really bring much product to sell at shows anymore.  They had bench brushes, tee shirts, hats, LN rulers, and beeswax for sale.  The demonstration staff was unfamiliar to me.  I think Deneb either stays home these days or he picks and chooses where he goes.  Not saying the current guys aren't knowledgeable.  Just different.  No plow plane sighting.  Glen Drake was there.  Russ Filbeck (ladder chairs) was there.  SAPFM was there, mostly staffed by Cerritos College staff.  I left not buying a single thing.  It wasn't a totally wasted trip.  I headed down the road to Santa Ana and Austin Hardwoods to get some QSWO for a project.  Got to see some really nice slabs suitable for tables.  Alas, not enough funds and too little vehicle to depart with any of those slabs.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
It's nice when Deneb is there as he was at the Palomar College show a year or two ago.  I brought up the subject of one Tom's planes and he had an instant rebuttal ready.  Which was, their planes are ductile cast iron whereas the vintage Stanleys are not.  He declined to discuss chip breaker tactics IRRC.  Kevin Glen-Drake is, now, kind of funny to me.  Funny as in I need to watch what I say around him.  I mentioned that I had one of his dovetail saws redone (by Marv Werner) and he reacted angrily and said it was my blank and I could do whatever I wanted with it.  Nonetheless, I bought one of his Tite-Marks.  I owe the guy, he basically taught me how to saw.  Also met Juan (forgot his last name) who makes some beautiful infill planes as well as the dude who makes those sensuously curved wooden planes.  Geez, all I need is to make the time and some money.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I believe you are referring to Juan Vergara and his infill planes.  I spoke with him at the Lie-Nielsen open house.  He mentioned wanting to show his planes at Handworks next year but the exhibit spaces are all spoken for.
Thanks, that's the dude. Juan Vergara
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
      -- Soren Kierkegaard