Deck stain won't dry
I just built a new screen room. We used pressure treated pine decking for the floor. We waited approximately 5 months while we built the rest of the room to stain it. This should have given it plenty of time to dry out. We've had a very hot dry summer. And it was under roof most of that time.
Last week we stained the deck with Behr water based weather proofing stain. We applied it with a brush and it was a fairly thin coat. We waited the suggested 72 hours before walking on it, and it was still tacky. I waited another 2 days and it was still tacky. I called Behr's help line and they suggested washing it with a mild soap, and rinsing it with water, which I did. It has been 2 days and it's still tacky. We are wanting to get this resolved and move furniture into it. Can anyone tell me what to do to get this to cure?
If women don't find you handsome, at least let 'em find you handy!
Hmmm, likely something going on between the stain and the pressure treating chemicals and wet wood; what, I don't have a clue, other than I don't think 5 months is enough time for the wood to dry out, moisture content can be 20% or more with treated SYP when you buy it. Being covered during that time would actually retard the drying as its not rain you're dealing with - you want to get the wood dry and stable before finishing.

What I'd do is to follow up on what Behr suggested, except to crank it up a few notches with a much more robust cleaner, as I think you simply have to remove what is causing the tackiness, whatever it is. The alternative is to just wait until it cures as it will eventually do. I'd suggest TSP (tri sodium phosphate) used for cleaning surfaces prior to painting and more to the point here, removal of wallpaper glue. You can get it in any good paint store and online as well. I've used it many times without a problem, but do wear gloves and goggles as it can be harsh on the skin and follow directions on the back of the box, hose down liberally after scrubbing. Don't know what it will do to the stain job, but try it in a corner first. That's all I got....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Have seen that happen a few times. Sometimes it just takes a very long time for it to dry especially if the surface is smooth which is usually the case for pt decking. 

Only thing I can tell you is t use readyseal next time. It was constructor only for many years but it is now available at the borgs. It's pricey but it's good stuff.
Admiral, Behr said to let the PT decking dry for 4-6 weeks. We waited approximately 20 weeks. I have stained many decks and porches in the last 45 years. Many of them only a couple of weeks after they were built, and have never had this to happen.
If women don't find you handsome, at least let 'em find you handy!
Yeah, I hear you, but something is going on here. Don't know what, it's all speculation.  All I can figure is to wash it down, and go from there. I feel for you, you want to use your work.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Sounds like the stain was past the Use By date. Last time I bought a flooring product at HD, it was 18 months past the Use By date. While what I bought was oil based, I wonder if water based might do the same.
I've had issues with waterbased deck stains and drying time. It stays tacky for a long time.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

hows the air circulation in the room?
FWIW, I used Behr stain on my deck and found it to be a real disappointment for the horizontal surfaces.  In my case I live in a hot/humid muggy climate (VA near DC).  I left the deck for almost a year before staining.  The stain took just fine and dried in less than a day.  It acted like latex paint frankly.  However, it did not last a season before it was coming up off the deck.  I even crawled under the deck (3 feet off the ground) and stained the underside as I had read this was a good thing to do to.  Reapplied it several times over the years and then decided I would look elsewhere. 

So, I switched to Sikkens and it seems to be much better.  Though none of these water based stains will last the length advertised.  I will be lucky to get 2 seasons from the Sikkens for the deck surface.  But, much less of the surface has peeled away.  I'd say about ½ the Behr did vs. about 15% of the Sikkens.  

In the meantime, I have had a few of the boards rot after about 8 years.  Took them back to my supplier.  They claimed they had never seen this on the new copper based pressure treatments, but were just great about replacing the boards.  Tart Lumbar in Sterling VA is a great company.  

But, I now have new PT lumber that I really do not want to stain after installing.  Would much prefer to stain first, then install.  Otherwise, cannot stain the entire board only the top.  

I think I will experiment and see how the new PT takes the Sikken stain.
sleepy hollow

To the original poster. I was just reading an article about PT lumber and it said for Water Resistant pressure treated lumber you have to wait at least a year to use water based stain. Could this have been the issue ? Roly