A New Mantle
Photo 
Hey everyone.  It's probably been at least 7 years since I last posted (having 4 kids and three moves in that time really cuts down on woodworking) - but I finally have something I wanted to share.

Before I painted our living room, I wanted to build a new mantle.  With so many young kids in the small house, I couldn't deal with demoing the brick and all the mess that came with that.  My solution was to encase the brick and built the mantel in place.  I borrowed some ideas from a bunch of different places and this is what I came up with.  Its poplar plywood and 1/4" strips with paint grade molding all from the orange box.

Thanks for looking!

BEFORE (There used to be a wall of mirrors in the space between the windows, which also used to have only simple case molding.

[Image: 29493076153_0d149a9ce4_b.jpg]

Top Face
[Image: 29493076273_15baf2276b_b.jpg]

A little help and side leg face.
[Image: 29493076203_8bb37042cb_b.jpg]

Rough face/base complete
[Image: 29493076133_bbd2d4b015_b.jpg]

Ooops, skipped a few shots
[Image: 29493076183_b68f145267_b.jpg]

The final result

[Image: 29493076083_717826ec6e_b.jpg]

Thanks for looking!
- Everyone wants to thank a service member, but I say THANK YOU...your taxes buy my power tools!!!
Nice. BTW, little kids are great sawdust movers aren't they.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

What an improvement.  Well done.

John
Really nice finished product and I like that you found a work around that demo to keep the project from becoming a nightmare
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Looks great. I like how you left the inside brick border.

Cool

I'm a fan of the brick, too.

Thanks for the pics.  I'm getting ready to retrofit an antique fireplace mantle/surround to our modern gas fireplace in our 12 year old home.  Your pics are helping the idea train get moving.
Well done, another vote for the small brick exposure...really turned out nice!
Yes
Yes
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Very
Cool
Ag
Thanks, I'm glad it helped.  I took inspiration from some of these posts I found online.

http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2013/09/hom...style.html

https://www.skiltools.com/How-To/Documen...Mantel.pdf
looks great!!
but imo the best part is the lil helper!