roof
I have a friend in Florida who had his house for sale. It sold pending inspection. The inspector found that the shingles (30 yr archetectual Certainteed) were falling apart. The glass was exposed on every western facing shingle. These are only about 11 years old.

It takes a couple months for Certainteed to settle with the owner and it's a pro-rated settlement.

He got a quote for $16k to do a new roof and wound up selling the house and reducing the price 8k and turning over the house as-is to the buyer. The new owner will deal with Certainteed.

I won't know how it will end.

Anyway, I know Certainteed is generally a decent product as is Tamco and GAF. I sold Tamco and GAF through a big box store, the contractors tended to buy Tamco.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(10-05-2016, 07:39 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: He got a quote for $16k to do a new roof and wound up selling the house and reducing the price 8k and turning over the house as-is to the buyer. The new owner will deal with Certainteed.

Is the Certainteed warranty transferable?  I thought only Tamko had a transferable warranty, and even then it is only transferable for a couple of years.
That sounds like my house, a ranch.  They could have practically jumped up to the roof from the front yard.  It is on a steep slope so you wouldn't want to fall off the back side of the house.  

In general they did a good job but they started the shingles about 2" past the edge of the house.  I asked why and they said it was the custom nowadays.  

A bad custom as in heavy rain the water washes past the gutters and it makes cleaning the leaves out very difficult.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-05-2016, 04:11 PM)GHR Wrote: My daughter had her roof done. (2000sqft of plan view with 8/12 pitch.) 2 days. The guys knew what they were doing. Speed is not a problem.

The problem with "too fast" seems to be quality.  I looked at several roofs done by the "two day" contractors, and they did not hold up long term.  The ones ten to twelve years old looked pretty bad.

It may take a few years for your daughter to start seeing the issues - they all look decent for the first few years.

(10-05-2016, 08:18 AM)mdickmann Wrote: I am trying to decide between 2 roofers. 

Forgot to mention - going rate for roofs around here is $300 to $350 per square.  You can pay more, but that is what it costs to get a decent job done by a certified contractor.
(10-06-2016, 11:49 AM)geek2me Wrote: Is the Certainteed warranty transferable?  I thought only Tamko had a transferable warranty, and even then it is only transferable for a couple of years.

I was told that Certainteed will deal with the new owner.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS