Need Some Help Templating a Desktop
I just had a built-in desk unit added in the corner of a room.  It's kind of an "L" shape and will require two pieces.  I want to get a piece of glass cut to sit on top of the desk.
The problem is that because the walls are not square, few of the corners are 90*.  I can measure the lengths of each side going around, and I'm trying to draw the template in Sketchup.
But because I don't have the corner angles, I can't get the box to close. For example, in the image below, the piece on the right -- the lengths for the back and the sides are accurate. But the front edge is 37 1/8, not 36 9/16.

Is there a trick to this?  I could just measure "close enough," with 90* corners in the back.  But there will be gaps around the edges (and probably between the two pieces).

[Image: 30108996376_38d4f5f676_k.jpg]

No idea how to answer your question but would quarter round help hide the imperfections
It will also keep dust from sneaking under the edge
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

My glass store cuts to paper or wood templates. I would cut a couple pieces of plywood the right size.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
(10-06-2016, 12:10 AM)GHR Wrote: My glass store cuts to paper or wood templates. I would cut a couple pieces of plywood the right size.

^^^^^^This.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Rip some 1/4" sheet goods to 2" width. 

Cut the first piece to fit in the back.  Cut two pieces to fit the sides.  Use a hot glue gun to glue them together.  

Glue a piece to fit the front.

Remove and you have an accurate template.  You can use this method to transfer any shape.  I've used it to accurately fit a built in, and I NEVER USED A RULER OR TAPE MEASURE!

If it is quite large you will want to hot-glue some gussets in the corners to improve strength.  And you might need an assistant to carry it around to prevent it from coming apart.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I saw some articles on that method, but was hoping there was an easier way.  
Alas.  

Much appreciated.

Kinda hard to describe, but I'll try.

Looking at the L shape so one side is in front of you and the other side is on your right.

I'd use 1/4" ply.

On the front side, I cut the top the correct size but leave it long on the right side so it extends into the area that will become the right of the L.

For the right side of the L, cut that the actual size of the top (leave extra length), running all the way to the back wall.

Set the front side in place, set the right side in place so it is on top of where the front side.

Make any necessary cuts on the right side piece to get it fitting squarely in the corner.

Run a pencil along the edge of the right side top marking the front piece.

Cut on the right side of the pencil line (leaving the line)

The piece will fit together perfectly.

Glue or tack some straps to hold the pieces together.

Deliver it to the glass shop.

Hope that makes sense.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(10-06-2016, 08:06 AM)Cooler Wrote: Rip some 1/4" sheet goods to 2" width. 

Cut the first piece to fit in the back.  Cut two pieces to fit the sides.  Use a hot glue gun to glue them together.  

Glue a piece to fit the front.

Remove and you have an accurate template.  You can use this method to transfer any shape.  I've used it to accurately fit a built in, and I NEVER USED A RULER OR TAPE MEASURE!

If it is quite large you will want to hot-glue some gussets in the corners to improve strength.  And you might need an assistant to carry it around to prevent it from coming apart.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is how solid top fabricators template 

I prefer this to any other method if there are issues as you have stated...

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy