Hand saw Id help please
Bought this saw the other day and i'm having a hard time placing the maker. The stamp (I don't believe it's an etch but judge for yourself) Reads BROWNE 3 WARRANTED CAST STEEL. I know that Disston had a second line of saws sold under the name of Brown but this clearly states BROWNE! Sure does look a little like a #7 handle though! Maybe it's a British saw? 28" heal to toe 7" at the handle 2" at the toe stamped 4 1/2 PPI but I haven't checked that yet.

[Image: 20161006_223111.jpg]

[Image: 20161006_194220.jpg]

[Image: 20161006_194403.jpg]

[Image: 20161006_194439.jpg]

I can't find any info online and my copy of Hand-Saw Makers Of North America makes no mention of it so any info on the maker and or age would be great!
Thanks for your help!
Tom.
There is a little bit of information in the Old Tools Archive regarding the Brown/Browne saws. Apparently, Disston bought the company about 1860. Perhaps that explains the similarity with the No. 7's tote.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(10-07-2016, 08:25 AM)enjuneer Wrote: There is a little bit of information in the Old Tools Archive regarding the Brown/Browne saws. Apparently, Disston bought the company about 1860. Perhaps that explains the similarity with the No. 7's tote.

Thanks, that was very helpful! In that post Peter Taran said "the hand stamped blade". I thought when I first saw the stamp it looked off! As a mater of fact if you look at the "E" at the end of BROWNE it looks like an E made up of an F and two L stamps laid sideways, anyone else see that or is it just some fancy mid 1800's font? Also "Warranted"  and "Cast Steal" don't seem to be on the same plane. Now i'm not sure how to proceed. I was going to clean this all up and bring it to the saw sharpening class i'm attending in November. Any advice and added info on the saw would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Tom.