Tool Ideas for 10 year old Boy
I'm looking for tool ideas for a 10 year old. He's a budding craftsman. Doesn't necessarily have to be woodworking. Would like to stay away from power tools. Not sure if he's quite ready. He loves scouring the Harbor Freight ads. Ideas?
Work your way through the Jointer's Apprentice. Handsawing, a little planing, drilling, and hammering.
It's been a long time since my kids were 10, but I would let the tools be dictated by what he would like to make.  A tool box to hold his tools might be perfect, but he can keep them in a shoebox.  Maybe a birdhouse?  A spoon?  Then it's easy - just start him with the tools he needs to make that project.  Hammer, small saw, screwdriver, ruler, square, pencil, sharpener, some nails and screws. An eggbeater could be a cool addition.  But, the most important tool is someone to show him how to use the tools safely.

Then, just add new tools as needed to make the things he wants to build.

Sounds like fun.  I'm envious.  Still waiting for grandchildren.

Steve
I'd echo what Steve said, tailor the tools to what he wants to do.  For example, if he likes taking things apart, maybe some pliers, small hammer, nut drivers, a small ratchet set, small vice grips, etc.  It's more important for him to develop hand-eye and dexterity at that age, as well as an understanding and respect for what tools can accomplish.  I started taking apart bicycles at 10, moved to small engine repair at 12, still have (and use) the Craftsman socket set I bought at 12 years old; made my first ww project at 14, so it really depends on what he is doing and how he evolves.  I see too many "Millennials" who spent all their time playing video games, and when they get married (my three nieces married guys like that, and they call me up all the time to fix things) have zero clue about how to fix things or use tools, so any tool use in my view is good.

A hot glue gun (with appropriate safety instruction) is a great tool as well, wish I had one when I was a tyke.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Each kid will be different;  using a tool properly will depend a lot on the kid's interest and development (patience, and motor skills)

For my son (2nd grade), he's been using some tools with supervision. Sometimes as part of a project, and sometimes just to get experience working with things.

I built a doug-stowe styled workbench for him. ( http://dougstowe.com/educator_resources/94sloyd.pdf )
He mostly chose the colors for that.
I do recommend having a system for holding work at the right height.

My take on the various tools we've tried:
  • safety gear:  eye guards, 3m respirator when generating dust or spraying paint, and hearing protection with any power tools
  • shop vac -- he likes.  you may need to sift through the dust bin to find things that were accidentally sucked up.
  • hot glue -- he *really* likes this
  • painting -- he likes (we've brushed and sprayed milk paint; also some spray paint for pinewood derby, although the aerosol can was a bit hard for his fingers)
  • backsaw -- getting better; he tends to twist the saw a bit and tries to force the cut.  I've read that hacksaws might be good for kids.  (?)
  • coping saw -- more frustrating than worthwhile at this point
  • eggbeater drill -- he likes this pretty well.  You do need to watch how easy it is to break small bits.  You might want to buy some spare bits, put on eye guards, and show him how to break them so he starts to learn the limits.
  • yankee drill -- he likes this, although he did break the bit I had in it
  • brace -- he doesn't especially like this.
  • chisels/gouges -- he kind of liked gouges, but he is apprehensive about the sharpness of these tools, and prefers not to use them
  • plane -- has done a bit, but still a bit complicated to use.  I got the LV small BUS.  I think we might try a Stanely Surform "plane" next.
  • rasps -- haven't used much;  think a 4-in-one might be nice.  I recall liking this when I was in ~3rd grade.
  • sanding -- meh.  (don't think he is currently motivated by the outcome)
  • pocket hole jig -- okay
  • hammers -- okay for light assembly, but he prefers screws over nails for fastening
  • 12V drill/driver -- he likes these
  • pocket hole jig -- okay

Last year we did birdhouses in cub scouts.  Most of the prep was done in advance.  Kids did some assembly (glueing in dominoes), as well as some screwing (we used torx-head screws to make this a bit easier), and the kids then did some drilling with eggbeaters for their eye-hooks.

Next project will probably be stilts.

For slightly older kids, you might consider boomerangs.  (saw this on Doug Stowe's site; sounded like kids enjoyed, although most didn't have patience to shape the flight edge to get a reliable return.  I was thinking cutting the outline and having the kids shape with a surform plane and experiment with the throws)

To-date, saw work has been a bit iffy.  I think next time we may try a miter box or one of Doug Stowe's jigs: Matt
You didn't mention budget, but I would start with a nice toolbox. I just picked up one of these.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-Drawe.../203206053

Then I would print a few HF "gift certs" and take him shopping. Or maybe he can be your helper and get paid in tools. If he makes a want list and passes it out to his family, he should have a nice starter tool collection by the time he gets to high school. Another great idea is a nice vise. For some reason, a vise is a kid magnet.

I had tools and access to tools from an early age but got frustrated with woodworking. My projects at 10 were pretty shabby. With some mechanics tools and wrenches, he can tackle household items like I did. Maybe he, too, can become the king of replacing broken doorknobs.

Ten is a great age to be introduced to tools--too many of his peers (and their parents) are tool ignorant. Being able to make things and fix others are great life skills. Good luck with your project.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
eggbeater, some drills, and a small saw. Make a lot of birdhouses with those tools.

carl
Very good ideas over there: eggbeater, screwdriver and backsaw are the favourite of my sons and they love also spokeshave.
Some sized piece of wood ready for a box or a birdhouse could be a great spark...
Ciao e grazie, Leo.
I gave both of the kids a block plane, hammer, safety glasses, and a saw. They share a little eggbeater drill. If they need something they know that they can use mine if I'm there. We made small tool totes for them to store their stuff in. They still think hammering nails is the best part of any project.
Started the grandkids at 6 with a box of nails, hammer, and a couple of 2x4's which got the hand eye co-ordination working.

Then drilling with an eggbeater.

Next was screwdriving

Sawing was the hard part - scroll saw was first success then a fine tooth back saw

Now they had enough to make a tool box

At 7 the girl announced the vise was her favourite tool.

At the outset I made a platform beside the bench to get them up to vise height