Tool Ideas for 10 year old Boy
When I was 10 or so, I got a big heavy box for Christmas. I couldn't even lift it.
My Dad had given me a set of tools for my own use. I still have most of them.
I got a set of combo wrenches, screwdrivers, a tape measure, adjustable square, hammer, nail sets, hacksaw, sockets, and a few other tools.

I was happy as a pig in chit to have my own tools at that age.
Back ground. My grandson has loved tools and working with them for ever. He talked his new stepmother into a battery powered drill a while ago. She goes to him when she wants something done. My son is a great people person and I wish I had some of his skills when dealing with people but when it comes to using his hands or tools he is beyond hope.

Anyway my grandson turned 11 and we gave him a Stanley miter box and sharp saw and a fairly good selection of drills and drivers for his drill. I also included a arm full of eastern white pine to saw. Latter I found out that he spent the next 5 hours sawing and drilling holes and all his wood is used up. I said I would give him more when the other was used up so guess what. Not only that but over half of the kids in the neighborhood, both girls and boys, showed up to try it out.

I had and couple of hand saws, he picked out, sharpened, which I gave to him along with a sharp block plane. The cross cut saw he picked out was not of the best quality but he said it fit his hand. He was probably 9 at the time and he knew it fit.

So what have I learned? The quality of the tool needs to be equal to or better than you would buy for your self. A block plane for example needs to be of good quality and sharp, or you just shut the door. They need a little instruction and then you need to leave and let them work it out.

And most importantly if they want to build something, no matter how stupid you think it is  go together and get the material. Involve them in the selection and let them make the decisions it is their project.

Tom
My granddaughter is 6, a little tiny thing that has always loved tools and wants to help on every project.

She lives in France on a small farm, south coast, next to a Spain, and her other grandfather is a finish carpenter.

Only spends a month or two each year with us so on this last visit I gave her a tool box. Ordered a small brass plate with her nick name on it with presentation date and such, she loved that, and attached it herself.

Also filled it with quality items, mostly used and only hand powered, but along the lines of what others recommended.

Layout tools were a big hit, and she loves to saw, and with a fine toothed dovetail saw and some soft cedar she will saw for an hour...

Made a wooden sleeve for the saw to protect it and her, and also put dividers, as small block plane in a little homemade case--no chisels.

She shows it to everyone, tool by tool and name by name......

It's a joy if they are interested.....

Regards,
Andy

Mos Maiorum
A 10 year old boy ought to be able to handle just about any regular hand tool. My only addition to what's been said above is to get him high quality tools. Junk tools are just as frustrating to kids as they are to you.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I was fortunate enough to be handed down a kid sized, proper bench.  It has been great for my 3/7/9 year old boys! They scavenge like sharks for any of my cut-offs and scraps and just go to town experimenting with the tools I've approved for them.  

Also, let's them stay busy and preserves my workspace when I've got something going on.  When they need help, I just turn around for a few moments and we have a great time (before the 3 year old inevitably gets bored, hurt, destructive, etc).  

So maybe the materials and hand saw or something to build a bench? Just another idea...
(10-07-2016, 08:12 AM)Bob MN Wrote: I'm looking for tool ideas for a 10 year old. He's a budding craftsman. Doesn't necessarily have to be woodworking...

(10-07-2016, 09:20 AM)Admiral Wrote: It's more important for him to develop hand-eye and dexterity at that age,

(10-08-2016, 08:08 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: Latter I found out that he spent the next 5 hours sawing and drilling holes and all his wood is used up. I said I would give him more when the other was used up so guess what.

I may get branded as a heretic for posting such a thing in such a place as this, but I would even consider wire cutters, wire strippers and a soldering iron (pencil type).  Among other reasons, that is a great way to work on that fine motor skill of manual dexterity.  And boys start out a disadvantage in that category.  Ten years old is about right for starting in on that.  Get some soldering kits for beginners too.

Varmint #1 is 12 and Varmint #2 is ten.  At this point I can hand Varmint #1 pretty much any soldering project that I could expect myself to do and he will do it.  He may not arrange components quite as neatly as I would, but it will work.  Varmint #2 still needs to be limited to projects where there is a bit of room between the pads (an IC socket is probably too tight for him yet), but he will get there.  And they think it is fun.

Let the flaming begin.

Winkgrin

On a more acceptable note, a brace and some bits, a coping saw, a dozen 2x4s, a tarp and some paracord makes a fun tent project.  I did that on a camping trip a number of years ago.  Required the Varmints to build a pup tent for Varmint #4.  I managed the layout and helped them keep things halfway square.  A helping hand goes a long way when figuring out tools.

[Image: PP10OPT.jpg]

Finished product:

[Image: PP65OPT.jpg]
I think a soldering iron is a great idea. I learned about that time and even built a Heathkit shortwave radio when I was about 12.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(10-09-2016, 01:51 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: I think a soldering iron is a great idea. I learned about that time and even built a Heathkit shortwave radio when I was about 12.

LOL, me too, green cabinet, I put up a dipole antenna and had a ball.   Heathkit projects were great!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Many know I have an 11 year old son who hangs out with me in the shop.  He has done so for years.  On the topic of quality tools for kids, I will say it didn't take long for my son to realize the cherry handle planes worked better than the old antique ones I steered him too.  I think he was around 8 when he discovered this.  Up to that point, the cherry handle planes were off limits to him.  Curiosity and a lack of self restraint got the best of him.  My good handsaws are still off limits though with no exception.  He is a proven "kinker"....

I vote for a small socket set - especially one that can drive screws!

Cheers -

Rob