Lawn Care Opinoins
Right now my lawn is slightly taller than I normally let it grow. I live in SW Mo. Should I let it grow or do I mow? Sound familiar? Just interested in what folks have to say.
Mow at the highest setting on your mower.
Why the highest Joseph? Usually this time of year I start mowing low as I ready my lawn for core aeration and winter where a shorter length turf is better for winter overage and early spring recovery.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Because that is what the turf experts say is healthiest for the turf.  here is one article

One big reason is that the blade is what feeds the plant.  The longer the blade the more surface area for photosynthesis so the more the "food" the plant gets which means more/healthier roots as well. 

You should also not mow more than 1/3 of the total height off in one mowing (I regularly break that rule...).
When I get into the fall I always mow the lawn a step below what I normally do so that when spring comes it will come to life and not be matted down from all the snow too badly. May have to do a quick rake but nothing drastic.
John T.
I also mow about 3" high in the summer in Wisconsin.  In the fall, I put if down a couple notches also.  It makes it tougher for the leaves to stick, and less dead grass to clean up in the spring.
(10-07-2016, 10:38 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: When I get into the fall I always mow the lawn a step below what I normally do so that when spring comes it will come to life and not be matted down from all the snow too badly. May have to do a quick rake but nothing drastic.

I found out a little by accident that a quick once over with the leaf blower as soon as the last snow has melted fluffs it back up nicely.
This is a common question. If a lawn is fertilized properly grass height within a certain range is fine. Go to a golf course and check out fairways and greens. I've seen some homeowners cut it so high that the lawn becomes contaminated with a fungus. Lots misinformation out there regarding lawns.