Fishtail chisels?
Sometimes I spend my out of shop time thinking about tools I want but don't really need. Today that thought process has led me to fishtail chisels. In a Popular Woodworking article about tools you don't need Adam Cherubini put fishtail chisels on his list. Who am I to argue with Adam Cherubini? Yet, I still want to find out more and probably buy one or two. As always, before purchasing any tool I come to the smart people of Woodnet for info. and advice. So, who makes a good fishtail chisel?
I bought three Japanese fishtails out of the Japan woodworker site...blue steel ones. Cant recall the name, was 15 years ago but found them  helpful with dovetails. And they get the sharpest of all my chisels.
Lie Nielsen is the first to come to mind. I'm sure there are some others. I've never used one and I can't recall ever thinking that I needed one to complete a task. I do have a set of 1/2" skew chisels and I do find myself using them occasionally.

(10-09-2016, 03:59 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote:   I do have a set of 1/2" skew chisels and I do find myself using them occasionally.

Ditto...... but as tools we all buy because we want but don't really need, fishtail chisels are as good as any.
Pfeil sold at Woodcraft.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Dave Jeske (Blue Spruce Toolworks) makes them as well.
Got a LN. Works nicely-when I remember I have it! I can pare out my DT's nicely without it.

Sharpens nicely, but I seem to remember the steel is not hardened as much as their other chisels.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I use my LN fishtail chisel often when I am making the half-blind dovetail sockets in drawer fronts.  This shape gets into corners like no other chisel can.  I try not to hone the chisel too often as the cutting edge gradually gets narrowed.  I have just the 1/2" version and never strike it; but rather just lightly pare the pin sockets with it.  

I did convert an spare 1/2 chisel by putting a skewed bevel on it.  This works for the same purpose as the fishtail but you need a right and left versions to accomplish the same tasks as a fishtail.
(10-09-2016, 03:43 PM)JSpill Wrote: Sometimes I spend my out of shop time thinking about tools I want but don't really need. Today that thought process has led me to fishtail chisels. In a Popular Woodworking article about tools you don't need Adam Cherubini put fishtail chisels on his list. Who am I to argue with Adam Cherubini? Yet, I still want to find out more and probably buy one or two. As always, before purchasing any tool I come to the smart people of Woodnet for info. and advice. So, who makes a good fishtail chisel?

There are those that argue that you do not require a fishtail (or a skew chisel), but can instead use a 1/8" chisel to chop into the corners of the socket. Obviously they do not make slim tails which leave a minimum of wood at the corner of the socket!

I have a few fishtail chisels. A useful size is around 3/8".

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(10-09-2016, 06:58 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: There are those that argue that you do not require a fishtail (or a skew chisel), but can instead use a 1/8" chisel to chop into the corners of the socket. Obviously they do not make slim tails which leave a minimum of wood at the corner of the socket!

I have a few fishtail chisels. A useful size is around 3/8".

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek,

My ears are burning. 
Big Grin

[Image: 12961564233_2919320e0c_c.jpg]

And I think you meant, “slim pins”, no? I can’t recall ever seeing a dovetail where the pins were big and fat, and the tails were super skinny.
Hail St. Roy, Full of Grace, The Schwarz is with thee.
Blessed art thou among woodworkers, and blessed is the fruit of thy saw, dovetails.
Holy St. Roy, Master of Chisels, pray for us sharpeners now, and at the hour of planing.
Amen.
$300 is a lot of Money!
giant Cypress: Japanese tool blog