Fishtail chisels?
Coincidentally, Bill Tindall posted a photo on WoodCentral of a drawer with skinny dovetails that is over 200 years old, and well-used. They are strong. Dovetails, such as these, have featured on high end English furniture for centuries.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Another point of reference is the Studley tool chest.  No fishtail chisels.  In fact, his chisels more resemble firmer chisels, without the side lands we see on current production bench chisels.  Just straight, parallel sides with a bevel at the cutting end.  The drawers to his tool chest were dovetails, albeit not nearly as lovely as Derek's dovetails.  I don't think the Seaton tool chest had fishtail chisels, but I could be wrong.  He did have carving tools.  I don't have the book so I don't know what the chisel inventory was in the Seaton tool chest.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Allan, don't forget that Studley was a piano repairer. He kept only the tools he needed for his work.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I had a pair made by Blue Spruce with Afzelia Burl handles.

[Image: 600x600.jpg]
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I have that same set of Blue Spruce (in African Blackwood). They are excellent. 

Here is a fishtail chisel (in Tasmanian Blackwood) I made about 10 years ago ...

[Image: Dovetailchisel1.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
(10-10-2016, 09:32 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Allan, don't forget that Studley was a piano repairer. He kept only the tools he needed for his work.

Regards from Perth

Derek

True, but he didn't seem to lack the skills with his firmer chisels to make the dovetails on his tool chest.  Dovetail joinery is common on older pianos, especially for the frame supports on grand pianos.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill