Swivel jaw vise repair, Part I
OK. I know this is a woodworking site. But metalworking vises are handy for keeping your woodworking tools in shape. And what happens when the worlds collide and you have to use your woodworking tools to fix said metalworking vise?!? That situation is exactly what I faced this weekend. The vise in question is a Columbian Hardware 402 1/2 swivel jaw vise. Yes, it has a swivel base but it also has a SWIVEL JAW. You can clamp irregular workpieces in the vise and the jaw will swivel to hold it securely. Pretty neat. This vise was made sometime in the 1920s and is currently under rehab. The hole is for a pin (missing) to hold the jaw in place when swivel action is not needed.

[Image: DSCN0696.jpg]

Besides the obvious rust, it is covered inside with a thick coat of grease. The repair issue involves the swivel jaw. It was mistreated and suffered an injustice.

[Image: DSCN0713.jpg]

As you can see, there is a section missing from the back part of the swivel vise jaw dynamic section. Someone probably hit it with a hammer while trying to get the jaw to swivel. Since it needs cosmetic, not structural, repair, I will use JB weld to fill it out.

That starts with a Japanese mortise chisel that I rehandled. I needed to make a splinter paddle and it was the closest one.

[Image: DSCN0717.jpg]

Here is the JB weld prep. I trimmed the end of the splinter paddle and found a mixing board. Someone sent me a great plastic post card. The aluminum foil is for a mold.

First the break needed cleaning. I used a grinding wheel on the dremel to rough it up. Then I cleaned the break with acetone, made a mold with the foil, and mixed the JB Weld.

[Image: DSCN0719.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0722.jpg]

And here is the weld in place.

[Image: DSCN0723.jpg]

The JB Weld sets up in a few hours and is ready for working at 24 hours. Will it work? Can the jaw be saved? Tune in next time when I use the Japanese chisels to go to town on the weld spot.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com

Cool
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Skip the chisel and shape with the grinder. If the Epoxy sticks well, you are golden. I'd have treated the rust with phosphoric acid before laying on the epoxy.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(10-09-2016, 07:53 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Skip the chisel and shape with the grinder.  If the Epoxy sticks well,  you are golden.  I'd have treated the rust with phosphoric acid before laying on the epoxy.
Thanks for your tips. I omitted the prep steps. I roughed up the host site with the dremel grinder wheel and brushed out the rust and dust. Then I bathed the site with acetone. The prep made a good bond.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com