Stanley 77 market bottoms out.
I have no idea what it'll cost, but I'm pretty sure I could special order a WHOLE LOT of dowels any size or material I wanted for way less than what they'll want for their machine.  People will buy it, though.  Some folks just want gizmos that look cool.  At least it does what it was designed to do.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I like that guy's t-shirt.

And it's interesting to see him building a classic dowel-making tool in the shop - nice and simple.
(10-12-2016, 09:16 AM)AHill Wrote: I have no idea what it'll cost, but I'm pretty sure I could special order a WHOLE LOT of dowels any size or material I wanted for way less than what they'll want for their machine.  People will buy it, though.  Some folks just want gizmos that look cool.  At least it does what it was designed to do.

$399. Add another $79 if you want the metric dies.

Lee Valley already makes a dowel former and for less money. No idea how Woodpecker can claim there aren't any dowel makers on the market.
Jason

I've never bought anything Woodpecker, and I never will.  Everything they do is just way to RED.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
(10-12-2016, 03:56 PM)Jason28 Wrote: No idea how Woodpecker can claim there aren't any dowel makers on the market.

What they meant was, "there aren't any makers of anodized red dowel makers on the market."
(10-12-2016, 03:56 PM)Jason28 Wrote: Lee Valley already makes a dowel former and for less money. No idea how Woodpecker can claim there aren't any dowel makers on the market.

And the Lee Valley one doesn't really limit the length of dowels you can make with it.  You can also sharpen the cutters on the LV version.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Guess I don't need to run the video. 
No
I love woodworking, but I don't necessarily love the production of many small parts used in woodworking. So this goes into the unnecessary labor category. IF, and I say IF seriously you are joining with dowel, how often will that be, and for a few bucks you can buy more sizes, and LENGTHS than that thing will ever produce. Cheap too.

I say that solely from my own point of view, others may use a lot of dowels, and may think this is a needed tool. I think in this day of the Domino, that this product will never have a huge market, so in 75 years at an auction somewhere, some guy is going to say, cool an apple peeler
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I think people get into dowel-making equipment because so many commercially produced dowel rods are (a) not actually round, but a facsimile of round, and (b) not necessarily true to size.

I'd have to be making a lot of doweled joints before I got into something like the Woodpecker or even the 2/3rds the price Lee Valley machine.  Pretty darned true fluted dowels are commercially available, and would probably meet my needs for quite a while; and the much cheaper dowel plates would probably keep me happy after that.

But this is speculative; I don't do much dowel joinery.
I have the economy LV version and use it occasionally when I want some dowel of different woods for decorative purposes.  It works fine once you've got it set up.

For joinery dowels, I use the commercial fluted variety.

[Image: 05J6001s1.jpg]