Brass Hinges - source?
I need 2 brass hinges for a toolbox project I'm wrapping up.  This is a special project.  The lid is heavy, it's a frame/panel, from mahogany.  

I don't want to use the $2 hinges from the borg... but I'm not real fired up about spending $40+ on brusso...  

Is there an in between that is a quality product?  Recommend a source?  They don't need to have stops built in, I will use a brass chain(source?) as the lid stay.

Thanks.
Although I have not used them, these guys have gotten good reviews over the years, and are more than HD, less than Brusso:

Horton Brasses
My local Ace hardware has a range of brass hinges.  Yours might, too; or not, depending on management's assessment of the market.
Horton Brass is my go to source for brass hinges. Very good quality at a reasonable price.
I usually find something appropriate in Lee Valley's extensive range of hinges (and chain, and other box parts).
I've gotten good stuff from Horton. You won't be disappointed.

And if Dave (above) uses them on the stuff he builds, well, that should tell you all you need to know.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(10-11-2016, 12:57 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: My local Ace hardware has a range of brass hinges.  Yours might, too; or not, depending on management's assessment of the market.

Mine likes to put them up for clearance on occasion. I just grab a bunch of pairs. I have some door hinges (interior) I plan to use for my tool box/cabinet/box/whatever when I figure out the design that works. I have enough to break down leaves and create odd sizes (edges/faces). 

LV makes you buy screws separately. I'm too dumb to Ouija Board sizes-type I want, so trip over to Ace and get what I can see. Anyway, LV uses  oxen dray service  for shipping, so convenience prevails on my side of the world.
Thanks all. I'll try those. Horton kooks like what I'm after. But I will check out ace hardware as well.
So tell me this on sizing. If my box pieces are 7/8" thick, what size hinges should I buy? Do I buy hinges sized for 3/4" parts and have an extra 1/8" of material left behind the hinge mortise?
I would go with the 3/4" because I like the looks of the finished mortise.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood