My Generator Won't Start
I tested my gen set a day before the storms hit here. Wouldn't start, just a click. Serviceman found a bad starter relay. Replace relay and it works, just ahead of losing utility power briefly last night. Happy wife...it's alive!
It makes no difference whether you think you can or you can't. In the end you will be right either way.
(10-16-2016, 03:19 AM)TR6guy Wrote: I tested my gen set a day before the storms hit here. Wouldn't start, just a click. Serviceman found a bad starter relay. Replace relay and it works, just ahead of losing utility power briefly last night. Happy wife...it's alive!

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe even something simple like a bad ground or hot wire at the starter motor, Check the connections.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(10-15-2016, 09:59 PM)blackhat Wrote: Try connecting the ground by the circuit breaker ( power output) connections to a house ground connection.  If that doesn't do it, its VOM time.

That will get done tomorrow afternoon when I complete the wiring to the panel. I guess I will just let it sit until then.

Oh and VOM? Voice Of the Martyrs?

I found the service manual. I'm reading through it now.
Volt ohm meter
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I would first look for any wire that is loose or off connections. Then I would suspect the switch since it does not try to start at all. Then I would assume the "low oil" and "temperature" switches supply ground to kill the engine and I would disconnect the wire to them one at a time and both to see if it starts. If this fails to fix it, I would test the spark plugs spark. No spark- elect problem. If it sparks, most likely fuel.
(10-15-2016, 01:44 PM)crokett™ Wrote: When I hit the manual start on the generator I get nothing, it doesn't even turn over.  I'm thinking its because it needs/wants something jumpered since the transfer switch control wires aren't there.  
Manual start seems to be control through the control module CM.  It may be possible that without utility power at the control module, it won't allow manual start.  There's nothing in the schematic to describe the control logic (nor would you expect there to be), so there's not much you can tell from it.  
But there is enough there to see where to jump start the thing.  Though if voltage regulation is through that same control manual, you certainly don't want to bypass it permanently.  But you could enable the ignition, and jump the starter solenoid to start it.  Or so it looks.
Raised
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Half the system switches by applying power, half by switching ground.  The latter is used in other gen sets.  What prompted my suggestion is that it appears from the wiring diagram that frame ground is not connected to the ground for the output and utility.
Blackhat

Looking at the transfer switch schematic, wire 15, 205 and 206 go to 12v latching relays in the transfer switch.   The CM may want to see current in one of them but do not jumper with a solid jumper.     Roly
Agreed about the jumper but it is capable of running an exercise cycle without transferring. Manual mode and exercise should function the same. I am not familiar with the control logic on these so want to stick with what I can glean from the available info and not make suggestions that could cause damage.
Blackhat

Don't know if your manual goes into trouble shooting but this LINK  on page 27 goes into checking the starting circuit on the control module.   Roly
This link will download the service manual pdf