To help your Secret Santa friends
Having started a new job and the boys taking up the free time, I haven't been posting.  I do look forward to the Secret Santa every year though!

I will be happy with anything!  Really!

That said, a donation to the annual WoodNet fund raiser is always in style!  

Things I could use around the shop: an awl (I keep giving the ones I make away) and a jointer's mallet leap to mind and wood is an excellent choice!

Here's hoping everyone has a most excellent Christmas!

Randy
Reality is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
I guess I'll throw out some suggestions. I am starting to declutter my shop and am selling or giving away tools to any young kid I can find. So if you were thinking of sending me a tool from your inventory , please give them to a vet or some other deserving youth. I do still buy tools on occasion but it always seems to be tools that I didn't know I needed till I saw them. I enjoy books on Woodworking and metal machining but don't have much interest in watching DVD's. If you feel compelled to buy me something I have no tools from these people     http://www.kestreltool.com/  But have often thought of owning almost all the tools they make so that opens it for you.
Thanks to the folks that take the time to make this event happen. It is one of the highlights for me this time of year.
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
(11-16-2016, 09:27 AM)Boatman53 Wrote: I guess I'll throw out some suggestions. I am starting to declutter my shop and am selling or giving away tools to any young kid I can find. So if you were thinking of sending me a tool from your inventory , please give them to a vet or some other deserving youth. I do still buy tools on occasion but it always seems to be tools that I didn't know I needed till I saw them. I enjoy books on Woodworking and metal machining but don't have much interest in watching DVD's. If you feel compelled to buy me something I have no tools from these people     http://www.kestreltool.com/  But have often thought of owning almost all the tools they make so that opens it for you.
Thanks to the folks that take the time to make this event happen. It is one of the highlights for me this time of year.

Like you I have most of the normal planes but need some of the uncommon ones for us, however, I did see Kestrel tools from a link someone had here and you are right they make some nice tools and even better can make the handle to fit you.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I hope my SS doesn't fret...I'll be tickled to get anything for the shop.  The thing that I've sought hardest is a hammer set for setting teeth on a saw.  I have a wide range of squeeze type such as 42 X and many more but a hammer set does a perfect job and the saw stays much sharper for much longer.  Problem is...no one makes them anymore and the vintage ones are as rare as frogs teeth.

Don
I'm another passing poster. I like old hand tools, but I'm kind of at the point where I don't need  any more. If I buy an old tool now, it's just for decoration. I am currently making buckets and (soon to be) barrels by hand, so maybe a small scorp or a book on the chemistry/science behind wood bending. If those don't fit the bill, rust is always welcome.
Smile
Ken
First off, let me apologize to whom ever has my name. I haven't been posting much at all over the last year, and definitely haven't posted anything stating my desire for something. So, sorry....
Sarcasm 

Being as "tool poor" as I am, about the only thing I have a moderate need for is a set of hollow punches. And I happened to notice that Garrett Wade has a decent set  at a reasonable price. I've also got a wishlist at Lee Valley.

That being said, A simple donation to any reputable Veteran's organization, animal shelter, adoption aid group, or Special Olympics would be more than enough. These agencies can always use a little help...

Thanks to the organizers!
Yes
Yes 

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
I have not posted a lot this last year and wasn't even thinking about being part of this Secret Santa operation. I didn't even understand it was two way street when I signed up.

That being said I can see the value of some "cookie crumbs".

During some time with 4-H kids yesterday I was introduced to a Ryoba saw and could see one being a useful addition to my shop.

Anything made would also be appreciated.

Bill
(11-20-2016, 12:42 PM)wjt Wrote: I have not posted a lot this last year and wasn't even thinking about being part of this Secret Santa operation. I didn't even understand it was two way street when I signed up.

That being said I can see the value of some "cookie crumbs".

During some time with 4-H kids yesterday I was introduced to a Ryoba saw and could see one being a useful addition to my shop.

Anything made would also be appreciated.

Bill

Bill, what kind of work do you do with 4H students?  I am a high school teacher myself, so I was curious.
I expect I am one of the challenging ones.

Feeling my age while trying to change a watch battery yesterday I was reminded that I could really use something that helps me with tiny detail work.  The eyes just don't perform the way they used too, but on the advice of my optometrist I have held off on the cheaters.  I don't want something that makes it easy for me all the time, but a set of the binocular magnifiers for those tasks where I really do need to see what I am doing would be a very helpful gift.

Or, another direction if Santa is so inclined, a set of three different clip boards for The Varmints.  Most of my life revolves around homeschooling The Varmints.  I now have them at the point where I can expect more written work from them.  As a result they are always trying to sneak off with my clipboard.  I keep telling myself I should make some for them, but I have a shortage of round toits, and there always seems to be a long list of higher priority projects. (edit to add:  There are three of them.)

Alternatively, Rob Lee keeps track of a wish list for me.

Wood is always good too.  Living in SoCal there just aren't many hardwood forests close by.  Woods like Osage Orange and Black Locust just can't be found here.

I thoroughly enjoy this event, and thank you to those who make it possible year after year.  Thank you to Ryan, wherever you are, for starting this tradition.
Well, I have not posted much lately either, so some hints might be welcome. I'm pretty well set for tools, but good quality hand saws are always a welcome addition to the shop. I enjoy restoring and sharpening them. Good usable moulding planes (especially British planes) would be much appreciated as would vintage carving gouges. Consumables like shellac flakes and liquid hide glue are currently in short supply. I've haven't done much veneer work but it's something I would like to try, so a bit of veneer would be great. Vintage hand tool catalogs are also fun. I'll be excited with what ever you come up with. Secret Santa is always the highlight of Christmas. Giving a gift to an online friend is great fun.

Happy holidays
Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge