Help finishing Maple
(10-17-2016, 02:49 PM)cputnam Wrote: Transtint in Shellac to get the color you want to be followed by a clear, water-based topcoat.  Note that shellac will also act as blotch control.  The topcoat will provide the necessary durability.

IMO & YMWV

This has worked well for me in the past, or just Garnet, or a Blonde Shellac if you want to stay close to normal. Obviously the Garnet will redden it, but on Maple I like it. If you aim is to keep really white looking Maple really white. I want to know how, because virtually everything I have ever tried yellows it a bit, to a LOT. But the blotch part is really easy to control with a 1/2 to 1# cut of Shellac. I put it on, and if the "wet" disappears within seconds, I reapply. You've seen it, sometimes it's just a thirsty piece of wood.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(10-20-2016, 05:29 PM)Steve N Wrote: This has worked well for me in the past, or just Garnet, or a Blonde Shellac if you want to stay close to normal. Obviously the Garnet will redden it, but on Maple I like it. If you aim is to keep really white looking Maple really white. I want to know how, because virtually everything I have ever tried yellows it a bit, to a LOT. But the blotch part is really easy to control with a 1/2 to 1# cut of Shellac. I put it on, and if the "wet" disappears within seconds, I reapply. You've seen it, sometimes it's just a thirsty piece of wood.

If it were only that simple.

John
CN's blotch control worked very well for me on my hard maple cabinets. It didn't have any effect on the curly maple board that got mixed in and ended up being a raised panel.

I've never been fast at matching finishes. IMO, unless you've done it many many times with success, it's very time consuming. I spent the better part of a day trying to perfectly match ambered NC lacquer and an unknown OB stain for a remodel job that "I had" and then never got. I will never do it again.

I think one needs to keep realistic expectations. No two boards ever come out identical. It's wood.

I can't see your pictures in a big format. I only see the little ones in this thread. I don't see any botching on the cabinets, but I do see barberpoling.
The manual for The Woodwork Institute (formerly WIC) has an excellent illustration of the barberpoling phenomena.
Of course, the cabinets could be blotched too, I just have crummy eyesight, and only a little tiny picture to look at.

I found links.
Metamerism.
Wow! That's a ten dollar word.
Here you will find an explanation of barber poling.
http://www.woodworks.org/wp-content/uplo...veneer.pdf
The picture of the baseball park was a nice touch.