Framing in a storage loft in my garage
(10-18-2016, 12:04 PM)Cdshakes Wrote: Is standing up some 2x8's on top of the double plate and nailing to the adjacent stud sufficient?  I was looking at some where they nailed onto the outside of the plates, and some where they used joist hangers.  Is any of this needed when it's just storage (not a live load)

Colin

I would do what you suggest. I might use 2x6's. 

If I needed more height, I would just nail the 2x8's to the studs without any other support. I think standard nails will support 130 pounds each. So 4 nails at each end will support 1000 pounds/joist (50-75 pounds/sqft).
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
If you've got room for 4x4 support posts, here's another way to build a loft.

http://removeandreplace.com/2013/10/22/b...-pictures/
(10-18-2016, 12:04 PM)Cdshakes Wrote: I have a 1950's cape with an attached garage (not original to the house).  
I have my shop in the garage and desperately need some storage.  I am thinking about adding a loft over the dead space above the garage door.
The walls in there are pretty high-- about 10 feet or more.  The width of the garage is about 11 feet.  I was thinking about putting rafters side to side about half way back and then some flooring on top.  Is standing up some 2x8's on top of the double plate and nailing to the adjacent stud sufficient?  I was looking at some where they nailed onto the outside of the plates, and some where they used joist hangers.  Is any of this needed when it's just storage (not a live load)

Colin

if youre on top of the top plate, there shouldn't be a stud there to nail to, which im going to assume youre referring to the rafter?
imo, beings an "about 11 foot" span, id either double up 2 by 8's or single 2 by 10.

if youre f=referring to going inside the stud cavities, id go 2 by 10 up tight against the plates with studs cut to fit under each one.
here's a crazy question, would going front to back be better, as they'd essentially be like collar ties?  would certainly be a longer span, and would have to block out an opening for access.  But would it be stronger?
Watching this discussion with interest.  But it struck me that a lot of this might be overkill if your loads are not significant.  What do you plan to put up there?  Stacks of 8/4 cherry are one thing; lighter loads of boxes of stuff, etc., quite another.  If the latter, the Simpson top flange joist hanger might be the simple solution, just be mindful of the loads put up there.  I'm no framing or load expert, so this is grain of salt territory here........
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-21-2016, 03:57 PM)Admiral Wrote: Watching this discussion with interest.  But it struck me that a  lot of this might be overkill if your loads are not significant.  What do you plan to put up there?  Stacks of 8/4 cherry are one thing; lighter loads of boxes of stuff, etc., quite another.  If the latter, the Simpson top flange joist hanger might be the simple solution, just be mindful of the loads put up there.  I'm no framing or load expert, so this is grain of salt territory here........

i may put some wood up there... but nothing too heavy.. certainly not "stacks".
Other than that, probably some infrequently used tools, and other stuff in the shop that i'd like to get off the floor.  Not gonna put an 8" cast iron jointer or anything up there!