Bench Dogs
My work table is very simple: 3/4 ply attached to a frame and legs made from 2x4s.  Top is easily removable/replaceable.  I will be making several end-grain cutting boards and need a way to stabilize the workpiece for smoothing (and squeeze-out removal) with a card scraper or a plane.  I can attach (with screws) a bumper against which the workpiece would rest as I make my passes. (The bumper would, of course, need to be a little lower than the workpiece.)   But I've been wondering whether there's a relatively easy way to make decent bench dogs.  Not even certain they would offer any real advantage??  I'd appreciate your thoughts.  Thank you.
Before I built my workbench, I had a stable work surface w/ 3/4" holes.  I bought two "Bench Puppies" at Woodcraft.  They are awesome; still use them on special occasions.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
A lot of companies make bench dogs to fit 3/4" holes, probably the easiest way to install them on an existing bench.  The Lee Valley dogs are one possibility.  At the other end of the price spectrum, plastic dogs for Workmates are about $8.50 for a four-pack; search on "Black & Decker 79-010-4 Workmate Swivel Grip Peg."  These are very slightly larger than 3/4", but a little sanding should get you there.

Or, at the cheapest level yet, 3/4" dowels from the hardware store, fastened to chunks of plywood for the wood to butt against and to keep the dowels from falling through the holes.  You might try that first, and see what you think.
Thanks for the good ideas.  Each of them would certainly do the trick!