Help Identifying Old Jointer
Trying to help a customer identify an older 6" jointer which has no name or badging anywhere on it.  It has hand wheels under the beds for in feed and outfeed but the one feature that makes it unique is it has pull out rollers on both tables to allow you to extend them about 8 inches.

He can't send a picture and he looked around OWWM for a while with no luck, he's not very computer literate.

Just thinking the pull out rollers would be the one thing that somebody here might recognize.  If this sounds familiar, please advise and it will help me try and narrow down the proper Byrd head for his machine.  He is faxing me a head drawing but would be nice to know where to start.

Thanks
Have him find somebody that *is* computer literate.

Or with a cell phone.
Semper fi,
Brad

American Woodworker magazine did a test of 8 inch jointers in the April 1997 issue.     The Craftsman 20651-N was reported to have slide out bed rollers.  It even included a picture.

Maybe the 6 inch Craftsman jointer of the same vintage has rollers too.

Mike
Could it be a European tool?  I've never seen a vintage American jointer with that feature.  I haven't seen them all I'll admit.
I'd love to see a pic of this. Just off the top of my head the pull out tables sound like something gonna have some sheet steel for jointer tables. I can't imagine cast sliding out of cast. If it has the flimsies, makes you wonder if throwing a Byrd at it will be a smart deal, what with all of the not too bad 6" cast iron bed jointers on CL, that would benefit from a Byrd.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Sounds like a Makita or possibly Hitachi.

Greg
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Up here in Canada, Beaver power tools had a 6" jointer with bolt on bed extension rollers.
Beaver tools was bought by Rockwell Delta.

[Image: 701-A.jpg]Good luck.
Regardless of the type, I wouldn't sink the money into it with a Byrd head! To each us own though, and glad Brian is getting the business.
Hitachi had a machine with fold up table extensions on it.  As for rollers, I've never seen or heard about such a beast.  Wonder if it was some sort of custom thing.  One thing is for certain, no pic = no answer.

Here's the Hitachi version for the folks who like pics.

[Image: 50202029_614.jpg]
Thanks for showing that jointer, I've never seen one before. Did it come with the wheeled base and all?