Replacement windows by Anderson
Next spring I will be replacing my windows through out my house. All I am doing is taking out the sash and replacing. I do not want to take moldings and window stools off. I think they call those replacements. I will then have aluminum put around the outside frame and stool. My question here is has anyone dealt with Anderson replacement windows and what are your thoughts???  I believe their product is some composite and is not wood or vinyl. The thing that is attracting me to them is they do the install and will repair or replace their own product so I do not have to track down different companies. Thanks in advance. Might as well gather some intell now to be prepared.
John T.
If you do what I think you are describing your overall width  of glass will be smaller since the total window is not removed.
Yes going with a nation firm will give you a bit more problem solving recourse in the future if you have one. I would also look at a local company with a good track record and just for giggles compare cost.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

I have purchased windows from Anderson and they do a good job on the warranty service.  With regard to replacing sashes I have installed Marvin Tilt packs for double hung windows and those worked well also.  I have bought Milgard and a few others for new installs.  If your budget allows give marvin a look while you are looking at Anderson
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(10-20-2016, 11:06 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Next spring I will be replacing my windows through out my house. All I am doing is taking out the sash and replacing. I do not want to take moldings and window stools off. I think they call those replacements. I will then have aluminum put around the outside frame and stool. My question here is has anyone dealt with Anderson replacement windows and what are your thoughts???  I believe their product is some composite and is not wood or vinyl. The thing that is attracting me to them is they do the install and will repair or replace their own product so I do not have to track down different companies. Thanks in advance. Might as well gather some intell now to be prepared.

I guess we should of asked, what style window and why???
My sis has crank outs side bys, and just the glass was bad, she found out at a Home Show just the glass could be replaced. She never ask me first. It turned out to be 1/4th the price of whole new windows.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(10-20-2016, 11:55 PM)MikeBob Wrote: I guess we should of asked, what style window and why???
My sis has crank outs side bys, and just the glass was bad, she found out at a Home Show just the glass could be replaced. She never ask me first. It turned out to be 1/4th the price of whole new windows.

Old single pane 2 over 2 with storm windows. Want to eliminate storm windows and the other windows are too cold. I do not get any drafts in the edges of the windows so I am not concerned with insulation. As I was redoing woodwork a few years ago I insulated where I could. So I am looking to replace the sash and the side tracks. Should be an easy job. This is on a ranch house. There is about a 4 foot overhang on the front and back of the house. The only 2 windows that are really in the weather are the 2 on the side of the house. Will be replacing the back sliding door also. Thinking about front picture window but will look at budget there. Front door is fine.

Is Marvin a better window and why??  Do they warrenty their own work and product??
John T.
(10-20-2016, 11:42 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I have purchased windows from Anderson and they do a good job on the warranty service.  With regard to replacing sashes I have installed Marvin Tilt packs for double hung windows and those worked well also.  I have bought Milgard and a few others for new installs.  If your budget allows give marvin a look while you are looking at Anderson

We have Andersen 400 series windows in our house (over 40 of them) and they do a great job on warranty. Had a large 1/2 moon window leaking and they sent out a crew to examine and repair (this was 5yrs after install). Have had the spring inside one break and they sent me 2 sets of replacements "just in case another fails so you have it on hand". Very satisfied with performance and service.
They don't install that I know of but I like their product better.  It just seems more solid and while Anderson has a great warranty service I have never needed to find out with my Marvin windows.

Also Marvin made exactly what I needed there was no 1/4" or at the time 2" increments. I am pretty sure Anderson has increased their selection to 1/4" increments it was not the case when I was buying. I live in an 1885 Victorian that was deemed historic so modifying window sizes would have landed me in hot water at least with the windows visible from the street
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I got several andersen replacement windows installed about 2 years ago.  I had two in the bedroom done, and then i had 2 double hungs in the living room (side by side) switched out for a "glider".  Picture one big double hung window on its side (slides left and right).  They do a demo in-house to show you how their "fibrex" material is so much better than vinyl-- doesn't warp in heat...etc.  While it's tough to gauge whether they're that efficient, as my house is in desperate need of some insulation in the walls, i will say that the windows function nicely, and their service is outstanding.  After initial install, i wasn't pleased with how the installer patched the trim work between where the 2 original double hungs used to be.  They sent someone out right away and i provided them with new trim to replace it (yeah, i could've done it, but why not let them?)
Then a year later, i felt like one of the windows might've been drafty--i called them-- installer out a few days later, recaulked...etc.
I will say they are quite pricey though.

Colin
I also used some Marvin sash replacements in a 1925 house. I didn't want to reduce the window size and these are super easy to install. I was fixing double hung windows. With the sash replacements you pop off the stops, remove the old sash, screw on clips to the window frame, snap on the vinyl track and slip the new sashes in, nail the stop back on. With replacement windows you are setting a whole new frame inside your old frame so you need to do trim work when done. Anderson probably had a similar product but I used Marvin since that is what the dealer I used sold. Those windows sealed better than the Anderson 100 or 200 series we put in the house we built in 2005.
I don't know if they still offer dog ears to match the era of the house but when I bought mine they did.  Together with the exact sizing and dog ears I was sold and the product delivered was exactly what I needed

Phil Thien