What is whitewood
So Cecil...did that clear things up???
Wink
(10-24-2016, 03:36 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: So Cecil...did that clear things up???
Wink

Pretty much.  The industry has been using standard names for wood for decades.  HD and Lowes don't like standards.  Confusion is better for sales.  Therefore they created their own category and called it whitewood.  Now they can hide their lack of quality behind obscurity.

Did I understand it correctly?
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Cecil, I learned a long time go that you almost always get what you pay for.  When it come to woodworking, I gave up on most "bargain" wood a LONG time ago.  Instead, I've promised myself to buy good wood that's been properly kiln-dried and that is sold by a reputable, preferably local hardwood dealer.  A friend once told me "you'll never regret the money you spend on quality tools and quality materials."  By contrast, you'l long regret the consequences of buying inexpensive tools and materials.  Just my two cents.
(10-24-2016, 05:30 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: All common conifers are similar in knot appearance and distribution.

Raised
Arnie
(10-24-2016, 04:10 PM)Cecil Wrote: Pretty much.  The industry has been using standard names for wood for decades.  HD and Lowes don't like standards.  Confusion is better for sales.  Therefore they created their own category and called it whitewood.  Now they can hide their lack of quality behind obscurity.

Did I understand it correctly?

Well to be fair the wood industry in general has been using common / local and made up names for decades.
Laugh

If they label it as "Cottonwood", and the next shipment comes in as Spruce, it gets horribly confusing. And "Cheap Mystery Wood" probably isn't a good marketing name, even if it's accurate.
I don't know that there is really anything wrong with calling it 'whitewood.' It's a grab bag of vaguely white wood for utility purposes.
I call it firewood.
(10-25-2016, 02:24 PM)jgmahoney1976 Wrote: I call it firewood.

I see a number of people calling it just this.

There are two issues with it and most borg softwood lumber, that people overlook.

First if all, the moisture content is double to triple of what traditional hardwood lumber is. As that moisture releases, the wood will move. Second, ever look at the end of the board, a lot of times its pith wood from the center of a log or the first or second cut from the cant so the part just under the sapwood. 

I buy a bunch of #2 or even #3 pine from menards. Sometimes its already warped to heck at the store, but every now and again you get lucky. When you get it down to 10% or so, its pretty safe. 

I guess its something you learn over the years. Understanding wood and how it works is something that many overlook.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(10-25-2016, 05:30 PM)packerguy® Wrote: I see a number of people calling it just this.

There are two issues with it and most borg softwood lumber, that people overlook.

First if all, the moisture content is double to triple of what traditional hardwood lumber is. As that moisture releases, the wood will move. Second, ever look at the end of the board, a lot of times its pith wood from the center of a log or the first or second cut from the cant so the part just under the sapwood. 

I buy a bunch of #2 or even #3 pine from menards. Sometimes its already warped to heck at the store, but every now and again you get lucky. When you get it down to 10% or so, its pretty safe. 

I guess its something you learn over the years. Understanding wood and how it works is something that many overlook.

Careful PG someone might actually learn something 
Smirk
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Shhhhhhhhhhhh if you're not careful they will figure out SPF, then the jig will truly be up
Winkgrin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW