I'm on a roll with Richardson saws right now
Hey All,

Once again I'm posting a pretty neat Richardson saw that I just picked up that was made expressly for C.H. Fellows & Co. Haverhill Mass. I know it looks like I'm developing a Jones for Richardson saws but it just happened to be the luck of the draw that I purchased this one recently...honestly.
Wink  This one happens to be a 14" brass back, more than likely from around the late 1870 to early 1880 era. If you're into saws at all, you already know that American made brass backs are fairly uncommon, so I was happy to pick this one up. I'm not quite sure when Richardson quit using the split/spanner nut but this one still retains Washbourne's 1867 patent on the fasteners, which was basically brazing the threaded portion onto the head or medallion instead of casting the whole fastener. It still has the small diameter threads which indicates still being somewhat earlier. In any case Richardson hadn't went to Munger's 1869 patent yet which I have and example of...somewhere. 
Laugh

Unlike most saws I purchase, this one actually had fairly well formed teeth even though the edge was a little out of joint. It had been filed 13ppi cross cut with an undercut/slope by a previous owner or possibly came from the factory like this and was maintained that way. The only other back saw that came to me like this was a 1870's Disston Jackson that I know had the original factory teeth filed with an undercut. This Richardson saw was filed with a slope at about 37 degrees and bevel filed at 25 degrees. I'm not going to calculate it right now but with the compound geometry you'll see more than a 25 degree bevel on the front. This configuration pretty much lacks any bevel on the back side, so it's pretty much straight across when done. The first 2 pictures show the original teeth and the rest show the saw after I got done cleaning it up and redoing the teeth, with the same configuration as received.

The apple handle retains a small remnant of the original paper label on the grip and shows a light outline where some of the rest of it had been. A pretty good indicator that this saw saw little use, was cared for by it's owner and some how had been pretty protected from the ravages of time. The blade was a little rusty and tarnished, the handle a little dirty when received but it all cleaned up rather well for a saw of this age and the etch is deep and bold.

While I can't hold on to all of the saws I purchase, this one will be a keeper, at least for a while anyway!

The note below is about C.H. Fellows which I found on Google Books:

C. H. Fellows & Co., Dealers in Hardware and Paints, Agricultural Tools, Seeds and Fertilizers, 31 Merrimack Street, Haverhill, Mass. The manufacture of hardware has become one of the leading industries of the country, and as the goods produced vary as greatly in quality as they do in kind, a retail dealer who proposes to furnish articles that can be depended upon must have ability and experience as well as good will. Messrs. C. H. Fellows & Co. have been engaged in handling hardware in this city for a long time. The establishment conducted by this firm was founded some forty or fifty years ago by Mr. Samuel Fellows, and has been under the able management of C. H. Fellows & Co. since 1868. The natural presumption is, therefore, that they are thoroughly familiar with the merits of the articles in which they deal, and this presumption becomes a certainty on examining their stock and noting their prices. The premises occupied are located at No. 31 Merrimack street, comprising three floors, each 1,300 square feet in dimensions; also two large storerooms and a pipe yard. A very complete and extensive stock is carried, a specialty being made of hardware and paints, the productions of the most successful manufacturers being represented. A full line of agricultural tools, seeds, fertilizers, etc., is also offered for sale, and as employment is given to four assistants, callers are assured prompt and courteous attention. Messrs. C. H. Fellows & Co. are an enterprising and strictly honorable business firm, with whom it is both pleasant and profitable to deal.

Original teeth as received. As you can see they are dull and need some work.

[Image: dscn9573.jpg]

[Image: dscn9574.jpg]

The saw all cleaned up and new teeth filed in:

[Image: dscn9577.jpg]

[Image: dscn9578.jpg]

[Image: dscn9579.jpg]

[Image: dscn9581.jpg]

[Image: dscn9584.jpg]

[Image: dscn9585.jpg]

[Image: dscn9587.jpg]

[Image: dscn9588.jpg]

[Image: dscn9589.jpg]
Take care,
Daryl
Wow.  You've done a great job on getting it ready.  And thanks for sharing the back story on the saw.  It was a great read.
Gee, that's a beauty. Lots of work to get it into shape, but clearly worth it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Woah. 

That  is  sweet.
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

^^^^^What he said^^^^^^ Sexy!