It is never too late -- SawStop
First of all, sad news to the guy who had the accident.  A SS would indeed have prevented it.  Secondly, I think a lot of responders here missed the part that you quoted from another forum - it wasn't your accident and it wasn't your quote to buy a SS ASAP.

For many, it's a matter of economics on whether to purchase a SS in lieu of another brand.  There's a significant price difference between a Grizz and a SS.  Not so much a price difference between Powermatic and SS.  At the time I purchased my PM 2000, the difference was pretty substantial.  If I had the money, I'd have purchased a SS.  I didn't, so, even with my blade guard and riving knife, I still take very special care to make sure my hands and fingers go no where near the blade.  If I think I'm getting tired, I call it quits for the day.  No one intends to have an accident, but they do happen.  While a SS doesn't prevent kickback, it does prevent slicing through fingers and hands.  That's a pretty significant safety improvement.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I did use the overhead guard on my  Euro slider, so that is one possibility. But getting the SS offers even more safety. I was dumb not to get it when I bought new this past June.
(10-26-2016, 12:10 PM)meackerman Wrote: but his two serious injuries have been with a circular saw, end of day, tired, lack of concentration, hurry to finish up this last thing.  slices his thigh open.   

Thigh??????

Tell me he wasn't doing some of this stuff.

[Image: skillsaw-saw-horse-edit.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
the CS injuries I saw were leg related
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Got my new sawstop delivered on Monday.

It not only has great safety features (including a very usable guard that i will likely actually leave on the saw) but is SOLID....easily as high or higher in quality as my unisaw x5 was.  (That was 3 saws ago for me)

Im much happier teaching my boys woodworking- including safe traditional tablesaw practices- on a sawstop

Lawrence
Shazam!! You could be right!!!!!!!
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/slideshow/portfolio?sort=6
If $3,000 is too much to afford for a SawStop, it's too much for your insurance deductible after a trip to the ER.
I think he was holding one end of the board up, cross cutting it, end of the day, he was tired, using big saw (wormdrive skilsaw), something got away from him and the spinning saw blade somehow came down on his thigh.  I wasn't there so I didn't see exactly what happened.

He's been a contractor for a long time and knows better.  

My other FIL a retired contractor, has never had a power tool injury in over 50 years of construction.  When he's tired he calls it quits.  He does somethings with a circular saw, I'd never attempt.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Your contractor story reminds me of seeing a photo showing a contractor type woodworker using his mitersaw with its guard lifted up at all times by a cord or something! -- all in the name of efficiency.

In theory, if we will follow ALL safety and safety-related precautions and procedures, including not working under stress, distraction, etc., "luck" is on our side. I agree with my local school board that has replaced all its schools' tablesaws with SSs, even thought it meant as a taxpayer, I was footing the switch in a way. The school kids still have to learn to work safely as all other machines including the jointers and bandsaws can still cut off or maim a body part easily.

Simon
There is no substitute for the tool between your ears. SS offers nice features that would be welcome on more units if priced right, guards are always smart if the cut allows it, I have a euro slider with guard which I love and radically reduces kickback or being near the blade, but as has been mentioned before and bears repeating - accidents happen. There is zero need to pile on folks, the note of caution is always good, and ultimately there is no substitue for careful approach and safe practices. Do NOT become complacent with your tools. Bad things can happen quickly if you neglect to respect them.

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
(10-27-2016, 10:39 AM)TucsonLawrence Wrote: It not only has great safety features (including a very usable guard that i will likely actually leave on the saw) but is SOLID....easily as high or higher in quality as my unisaw x5 was.  (That was 3 saws ago for me)
they really are great saws.  I am keeping the PM66 for now.  I think the low-end SS at work is just as good though. I have thought about getting my daughter involved in ww, but I don't think I will let her use the tablesaw unless I get a SS.

I don't do potentially dangerous work late at night anymore, and I stop whenever I make a bone-headed mistake.