Affordable Shower Kit?
I'm having my bathroom redone. I want to replace my tub/shower with a walk in shower kit. The unit is 60" x 30". Since I have balance problems I want something that is not slippery and firm. Some of the products I saw at HD and Lowes seemed flimsy. Is there a decent shower kit out there that is substantial and not too costly?
It is hard to save your cake and eat it too.
If I installed one of those or had to fix some I did not. If I had easy access to it from the basement I would drill holes through the flooring below it. If a bath tub, fill it full of water, shower stall, weigh it down with sand bags after it is mounted an blow in low expansion foam to fill all the voids underneath the fiberglass base.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

I just installed one in a rental they come with some pretty dense styrofoam  if you feel that will work they are supposed to last about 25 years.   For a bit more you can get cast iron shower pan and use whatever you like for the walls.  Give the cast units a look pay attention to location of the drain.  I used a sterling unit myself.  The plastic type can be set in a mortar bed to add structure

The sterling is some type of plastic
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(10-26-2016, 07:21 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I just installed one in a rental they come with some pretty dense styrofoam  if you feel that will work they are supposed to last about 25 years.   For a bit more you can get cast iron shower pan and use whatever you like for the walls.  Give the cast units a look pay attention to location of the drain.  I used a sterling unit myself.  The plastic type can be set in a mortar bed to add structure

I have been out of my remodeling business now for about17 years, I used Sterling a lot. Now they have a cast iron base? I would think stamped steel and coated?
Yes a mortar bed works too.
To the OP, in most states, it is code to have 1 bath tub in a residual home.  If you have just this one and tearing it out for a shower area, resale maybe tuff or may have to do a new tub install, if you care about that.
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(10-26-2016, 07:48 PM)MikeBob Wrote: I have been out of my remodeling business now for about17 years, I used Sterling a lot. Now they have a cast iron base? I would think stamped steel and coated?
Yes a mortar bed works too.
To the OP, in most states, it is code to have 1 bath tub in a residual home.  If you have just this one and tearing it out for a shower area, resale maybe tuff or may have to do a new tub install, if you care about that.

Code requires a shower (30x30 min)or a tub. I have never seen or heard of any building code that requires a tub. If there is somewhere I'd like to see it in writing and not just house inspector hearsay.
(10-26-2016, 09:16 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:         Code requires a shower (30x30 min)or a tub. I have never seen or heard of any building code that requires a tub. If there is somewhere I'd like to see it in writing and not just house inspector hearsay.

Your are correct, I just looked up the code, I was going what one of my licensed plumbers told me years back. B4 being a house inspector which did not cover that, or need to.
Smirk

(10-26-2016, 09:35 PM)MikeBob Wrote: Your are correct, I just looked up the code, I was going what one of my licensed plumbers told me years back. B4 being a house inspector which did not cover that, or need to.

Forgot to mention that it wouldn't surprise me if there are city's around the country that add that requirement as in many states they have the final say in adopting the code and can add to it. 

Really frustrating as those additional requirements vary from city to city and often the only way you find out is when an inspector tells you that you did something wrong... 
        Course have run into many an inspector that enforce hearsay codes.
I have specified, used and help install the Best Bath System shower kits, but they are not the cheapest. However they are nice units. Come in 4 pieces so it's easy to get them thru a door and installed. They are fiberglass over plywood with a gel coating which allows you to install grab bars anywhere you would like to. They offer various grab bars as well.

I put one in my parents bathroom when remodeling and they love it. There isn't any give in the floor.
It has been awhile since I posted for advice on which shower enclosure kit to get. I'm still at square one. The work to be done is on Hilton Head Island SC. Because of cleanup work as a result of hurricane Matthew, plumbers and contractors have been very busy. In the past three months only one plumber has had the time to come over and look at the job. He hasn't yet given an estimate for installing the shower enclosure. 
    Now about the project. Many units in the complex have had shower enclosures installed to replace the bathtubs that were part of the original construction. No building codes prohibit such work. I am still trying to find an acrylic shower base. I have read up on Sterling, Kohler, Dreamline, Swanstone. Each has received positive reviews. I don't know which to purchase. As I originally stated I need a base that is not flimsy. I would really like to hear from a contractor or plumber who has installed any of these products and would recommend one over the others. Cost of the product is of some concern. I realize the final cost of replacing the bathtub with a shower enclosure can vary by thousands of dollars. Since the apartment is vacant most of the year I would like to keep costs modest. Thank you in advance for reading this long missive. I'm quite sure you have more important matters to consider.
I have used, installed, and specify Best Bath Systems. These are substantial, have a plywood overlaid with fiberglass on the sides and base. This allows grab bars to be installed where ever they feel best for you. Admittedly they are not the cheapest, but they last and there isn't the flex in the bottom.

I installed one for my parent's to replace a tub unit. It comes in 4 pieces and makes getting it in the house and installation much easier. The joints have gasketing and flanges to protect against leaks.