Stanley 18TB Bevel Gauge
I just ran across a Stanley 18TB 8" bevel gauge. It's made of aluminum and has a locking knob instead of a thumb screw/wing nut. All I seem to be able to turn up in searches are links to auctions. Can anyone tell me anything about these?
Jason

The Stanley 18 bevel gauge is a classic, desirable gauge; but I've never seen one made from aluminum, nor have I seen the "TB" suffix.  Perhaps it's a later model.

I've never taken one apart, but I have removed the locking screw, and the end of it tapers; so it's pretty clear it's a wedge-locking arrangement, with the taper pushing against a wedge that in turn presses against the blade to lock it in place.  The traditional 18, with cast iron stock (aka handle) and locking screw with a sheet metal wing nut on the end, will lock up the setting tight enough that you have to work very hard at it to move it.  I have several, and will leave them set for angles that I'll need to repeat later (green painter's tape helps me remember which one is set to fit what project).  In fact, I'm in the middle of running trim in a room right now, and have two locked up for different angled corners on which I haven't finished the trim and won't for some weeks.  Because of the very effective locking mechanism, I can put them in the drawer, confident that the setting will remain the same while they're waiting to be pressed into service again.

Pictures might help us figure out what you've got, if you have picture taking/posting capability.  In the absence of that: is the end of the locking screw a flat wing nut, a knurled knob, a loop?

The 8" size is a nice compromise size (Stanley offered them in 6", 8", and 10" in the early-20th-century catalogs): large enough for architectural work, not too large for (most) furniture work.

If you search on "Stanley 18 bevel," you'll find plenty of examples of the old design, and you can compare it with what you have.
I have the 10" version. Stanley 18 was one of the best bevel gages produced. Mine is iron, but it's a light grey color like aluminum.
I just bought a bunch of these new old stock from a hardware store auction. Tons of Stanley tools from the 1970/80's same quality I sold all of mine quickly.
I've all sizes of the Stanley 18 and duplicates of some (best bevel gage made), but I've never come across one in aluminum! I also "accumulate" Stanley aluminum tools and the only production one I don't have is the A45.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I'm sure that aluminium would be too soft. The only sliding bevel gauge I know of that is aluminium is a job site one offered by Chris Vesper, and this has a hardened aircraft aluminium body with a steel blade. The #18 I have is steel.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I've had a couple of these Stanley bevels. Aluminum body, steel blade. They seem to work as well as the older versions. They actually bring more money on ebay than the iron version.