I saw something interesting inspecting a home yesterday.
I hadn't thought about that.  I suppose for that matter, they could rip-out the chase and use some of the lightweight chimney systems out there.  Provided there isn't too much rot in the existing trusses.
Best bet may to complete removal of the chimney and abandon the fireplace???
That wood looks rotted through to me.  I passed on a house that had plumbing leaks on the second floor I came to find out that more than one joist was rotted through.  The guy that got the house was surprised as hell still made money on the flip but was definitely more work than either of us wanted
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

this thread makes me want to get rid of my chimney even more.  Although I haven't seen a leak since the roof was replaced
If the house is structured properly the new roof should keep you safe from this type thing.  The builder went cheap and easy, home owners seemed to follow his lead in the short run.  The floor supporting those bricks can easily support the pipe attached above it.  Sure it might be inconvenient to tear open into the problem but more than likely an easy one time fix
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(10-27-2016, 09:59 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: Just curious, where in Silver Spring?  My parents used to live in a neighborhood of similar age.

This is in a development called Stonegate off Notley Road. Within walking distance, through the woods to Stonegate elementary school.

(10-27-2016, 11:08 PM)JosephP Wrote: Best bet may to complete removal of the chimney and abandon the fireplace???
 The fireplace is in good shape, as is the flue. But it would require a total removal of the chase, rebuild and repairs in the roof structure. I'm not particularly fond of the way the roof was built, It's not prefab trusses. It's stick built. I would like to see more support in the form of trusses at every rafter. We do get heavy snow loads once in a while and there's lots of big treas and heavy branches over the house.

(10-27-2016, 11:10 PM)EricU Wrote: this thread makes me want to get rid of my chimney even more.  Although I haven't seen a leak since the roof was replaced

Done correctly, there's no problem. And, a house with a fireplace is easier to sell than one without. Particularly in cold climates.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Were they leaning toward the south or southwest ? I've seen this and just figured it was sounds dumb but just like the sun pulling nails out of a deck.
This is not the same house but it's in the same neighborhood. I pulled this off of Redfin, it's for sale.

See the chimney leaning away from the living area of the house. This one is not as bad as the one I looked at but it is leaning.

[Image: stonegate2_zpsjbgmagkh.png]

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

So the fix looks fairly easy as the thing leans towards the garage.  Going directly to ground seems pretty straight forward might even make it so the side towards the interior is attached to it like a backwards 4 and supported by the chimney in the front

Phil Thien

I'd take the whole thing out and start over. It's only a chase. I'd be curious to take off the sheetrock to see whats going on.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS