Chinese pipe at Home Depot.
Being without a utility, like running water, that is taken for granite is disturbing until I stop and consider that I am still blessed with all the rest. Heat, electric, a dry roof, food on the table, health. Having no water is a minor inconvenience.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Everytime the power goes out I'm without water. Should be taking care of that tomorrow.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel.  The old valves for the sink and toilet would not shut off entirely.  I bought new valves and I could not get them on fully and I had a very minor leak from two (that stopped leaking over time).  

I went to Harbor Freight to get a die to chase the pipe threads.  These are tapered dies and they would not start on the pipe.  I returned the dies.

I am now wondering if the valves (made in China) are at fault and not the pipe.  

I got two new valves (the plumbing supply house and Home Depot carry the same brand;  Lowes does not carry the correct size at all) and I will try to install them this weekend.

The threads on the pipe are supposed to be tapered.  Are the threads in the valves tapered too?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I installed a couple of new compression-type shutoff values, that no matter how tight I got the compression fitting had a small leak.  I left them alone and they've stopped leaking.  seems the brass compression piece can conform over time to stop the leak.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(11-01-2016, 10:33 AM)meackerman Wrote: I installed a couple of new compression-type shutoff values, that no matter how tight I got the compression fitting had a small leak.  I left them alone and they've stopped leaking.  seems the brass compression piece can conform over time to stop the leak.

More than likely its the minerals in the water that have sealed up the small leak you had.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
something did.  as long as it holds, I'm ok with it.

Mark

I have a set of chinese wrenches that are labeled, 1/4ish, 3/8ish, 1/2ish, etc, etc.  Maybe they make their pipes to match?
(11-01-2016, 10:08 AM)Cooler Wrote: The threads on the pipe are supposed to be tapered.  Are the threads in the valves tapered too?

All pipe threads and their associated valves, fittings, are tapered.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-01-2016, 10:33 AM)meackerman Wrote: I installed a couple of new compression-type shutoff values, that no matter how tight I got the compression fitting had a small leak.  I left them alone and they've stopped leaking.  seems the brass compression piece can conform over time to stop the leak.

Probably just not installed tight enough.  We were having an issue with leaking compression fittings, called out the manufacturer's rep, he pointed to the installation instructions that specified tightening to a given torque (which seemed overly tight by itself) then tighten an additional 1/2 turn.

Solved our issue, but a lot, lot tighter than I would have ever installed them.
I couldn't get them any tighter.  I had the biggest wrench I own on it (long handled HF combination wrench) and I couldn't turn the compression nut any tighter.  I thought I was going to strip the threads off I had it tightened so tight.

<shrug>  beats me.  the connection is water tight now.

Mark