Upgrade to a Nova DVR XP?
I currently have a Delta 46-460 lathe.
- 12.5" swing
- 16.5" length (between spindles)
- 1 HP motor
- Variable speed (via rheostat)
- 4 years old, still under warranty, and works fine.

My local Rockler has a "Floor Model" (not used, simply displayed on the floor) Nova DVR XP for $2080. (No legs/stand - I'll build one.)
- 16" swing
- 24" length (between spindles)
- 1.75 HP DVR motor
- Variable speed
- New with factory warranty
- Swing head for larger pieces

I am still a turning newbie, but I like turning and am doing bowls and lidded boxes (so far).

Looking for inputs/advice especially from owners of the Nova DVR XP.

Billbo
Smyrna, GA
I have a DVR-XP and have used it for about a decade now

The outboard is extremely limited (I have it), it is really only able to to platters and/or shallow forms. Even then the blanks should be round and balanced. I'm not certain I would buy it again.

You will probably find the basic bed too short, I know I did and added an extension and am considering adding a 2nd one

You can get a little more power if you change the wiring over to 220V. While this is not true for most motors, the DVR is not a normal motor.

Connect your DVR to a commercial quality surge arrestor. I have a bad habit of leaving mine on 24-7 (I just realized I left it on again).

Mine probably has 100x the hours our club on has with zero failures. While the club one I have had to fix twice.

I really like the 5 preset speeds, I really like the "stop on catch" the DVR control electronics has, I really like that the lathe always "turns on" at 500 rpm, no matter what speed it was at when you turned it off. I really that both the head-stock and tail-stock are hollow. I really like that for small hollow forms I can swing the head "just a bit" and hollow looking down into the form. I like that it will reverse, at full power, I really like that it produces full power from 100 to 3500 rpm (no most motors will not do that either)
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
It is a good lathe, and does a good job of keeping its torque under load. Other than that, I don't care for the speed control. I was used to the 3 phase motor with converter on it and twist the knob. Much more convenient especially considering that I turn green bowls to final thickness, and the blanks are never balanced, so 5 preset speeds don't work and the 'ramp up/ramp down' control is too slow. I do prefer a sliding headstock to the pivoting ones.

robo hippy
I've owned my DVR-XP for about 2 years.  Love it.  I upgraded from the Nova 1624-44.  I like the swiveling head, which makes it a lot easier to get at the inside of bowls.  I like not having to deal with belts and pulleys.  While I can pre-program speeds, I find it easier just to dial in a speed.  If you get one, make sure you order the hand wheel.  It doesn't come standard with the lathe.  Mine is mounted on the tubular steel legs.  I don't find it to be an issue as far as weight goes.  I don't turn a lot of massive, green wood stuff, so damping out the vibrations isn't that big a deal for me.  I made a mobile stand for mine.  To compensate for height, I add extra anti-fatigue mats to stand on.  Easier on my knees, too.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Check out the new Laguna Revo Lathe. It's a little more but alot heavier.
(11-01-2016, 08:25 AM)Herebrooks Wrote: Check out the new Laguna Revo Lathe. It's a little more but alot heavier.

The Revo is 36" between centers and the weight includes the cast iron legs, which are not included with the Nova DVR XP.  Even with the cast iron legs, the Nova XP is still a lot lighter than the Revo.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(10-31-2016, 10:59 AM)robo hippy Wrote: It is a good lathe, and does a good job of keeping its torque under load. Other than that, I don't care for the speed control. I was used to the 3 phase motor with converter on it and twist the knob. Much more convenient especially considering that I turn green bowls to final thickness, and the blanks are never balanced, so 5 preset speeds don't work and the 'ramp up/ramp down' control is too slow. I do prefer a sliding headstock to the pivoting ones.

robo hippy

I agree, the speed changes are pretty slow with the DVR XP, but I'm not a production turner either.  The new Nova Galaxi uses the DVR motor, but has a speed control knob.  Same HP rating on the motor.  Probably more expensive than the XP, which (I think) Teknatool will probably sunset.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-01-2016, 09:58 AM)AHill Wrote: The Revo is 36" between centers and the weight includes the cast iron legs, which are not included with the Nova DVR XP.  Even with the cast iron legs, the Nova XP is still a lot lighter than the Revo.

The lathe is bolted to the stand, right?  So make a heavy stand.  Adding weight in the form of tools and such will make the cabinet heavy, though it does nothing to end "vibration", only prevents a poorly balanced piece turned too fast from making the whole thing walk.  One of the MANY myths of woodturning perpetuated by people who don't stop and think, is that a heavier base lathe is a sturdier lathe.  Weebles do wobble, even though they don't fall down.

If you get actual vibration, tighten the bolts and the holds.  One of them is loose, allowing things to move relative to one another.

I keep toolboxes on the shelves beneath, and there's a 4-inch splay up front to widen the footprint. 

[Image: P3140057.jpg]

I also use my bandsaw to round things which helps the most.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
The big 50 is coming next month and the boss has green lighted a new lathe so I have 2500. I think I'm going with the Laguna 18/36. It's gotten good reviews so it looks like a good choice.

I considered the Grizzly g0766 but it seems like there have been issues and the latest ones with the VFD. A lot of people like them but just makes me a bit uneasy spending a lot of dough.

Best part is this will be the first quality new tool I will have. Up till now it's been used or new but cheap, Relient. Although my Relient BS and jointer work pretty good.
Don
Thanks for the inputs.

I am currently looking at two used units - a DVR 3000 (locally) and a DVR XP (L-O-N-G road trip
Mad ) as well as the new one from Rockler.

Since I have a small shop, the DVR size lathe is about right for my shop and turning projects.
I like the swinging headstock.
I wonder about the reliability of the electronics (2 year warranty on electronics vs. 5 year on everything from Jet, etc.)
I guess everything in life is a crapshoot.

BTW: I love the picture of the shavings bucket next to the lathe. 
Smile

Cheers . . . .

Billbo
Smyrna, GA