Upgrade to a Nova DVR XP?
If the DVR-2024 had been available when I bought the DVR-XP I think I would have gone for the 2024.
I just don't understand why it was on the market for such a short time though. Same motor, etc as the other DVR models.

Maybe it just wasn't popular enough
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
After much searching, "fritzing", etc. yesterday I picked up a Nova DVR XP with a Nova chuck.

Thanks to all for your inputs/advice.
Smile

Billbor
Good luck with the new DVR XP I think you'll love it.
Update us when you get it.  I'd be interested to see how they package it for shipping, and the quality of the castings, etc.  I had to take a file to a bit of flashing that wasn't ground off after casting on the headstock and the ways.  I know the CEO of Teknatool was very concerned about the quality of workmanship when production moved from New Zealand to China.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I picked up my new Nova DVR XP at my local Rockler (it was on a closeout sale) the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
- They also had the Nova DVR 2024 on clearance sale, but I opted for the XP rationalizing that 16 in. of swing + the outboard capability would be plenty of capacity for me.  I also think that the 110/120 volt DVR XP will be more "sellable" than the 220/240 volt DVR 2024 some years down the line when I'm too old and feeble to use it and I go to sell it.

It was new in box.
- Box clearly said "Designed in New Zealand, made in China."
- It came with a "slip-page" addendum to the manual with a 2015 update, so I'm guessing it was manufactured in 2015.
- The box was not super sturdy (compared to some other woodworking tools I've acquired over the years), however there was Styrofoam around the head/motor, under the bed and at the tailstock.

The Rockler guys loaded it into my Honda Pilot and once home I opened the box in the back of the Pilot and disassembled it to reduce weight and transport the major pieces to my basement shop.
- I carried the head/motor, banjo, tailstock, bed, and accessory box to my basement and wiped off the packing grease then reassembled it.
  -- No shipping damage.  (Whew!
Smile )
- After reassembly I fired it up and it seems to run O.K.
- Initial look on quality of castings seems to be O.K. -  I'll be more critical once I build a stand and start seriously using it.
 -- I am debating whether to use oak, maple or beech for a custom stand (with drawers, etc.) - wood pricing and availability will dictate which way I go.

I also need to research power conditioners/surge suppressors and decide which to get (I've read some posts where guys have had the power head/motor board go out due to power surges/fluctuations).

It is certainly a step up in size, HP and weight from my Delta 46-460 (up for sale now) which was a fine mid-sized lathe.
- Only time will tell if I just "over-bought" and should have stayed with the mid-size lathe, but boys need their toys.
Big Grin

Once I get the stand built and start seriously using the DVR XP I'll post a review.
We want to see that first 16' bowl.  You know you HAVE to make one.  When I got the 3000, I made one first project.  Was then that I discovered that 400mm really was 15 3/4 as I planed 1/8" off all the way 'round.

SWMBO, my live-in critic, showed me that my project was as big as the toilet.  We've called the full-size stuff "thunder mug" size ever since.

Only one individual has pooped in one, though.

[Image: BowlFix.jpg]
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(11-28-2016, 06:04 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: We want to see that first 16' bowl.  You know you HAVE to make one.  When I got the 3000, I made one first project.  Was then that I discovered that 400mm really was 15 3/4 as I planed 1/8" off all the way 'round.

SWMBO, my live-in critic, showed me that my project was as big as the toilet.  We've called the full-size stuff "thunder mug" size ever since.

Only one individual has pooped in one, though.

That's funny!  
Smile

I'm looking forward to seeing that first bowl as well.  Or platter.  Show off that increased capacity!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
My surge system is two layers deep
First I have a panel mount surge system located in the breaker panel. Since I installed these I haven't lost a piece of equipment, now it's up to about 20 years. Before that I lost something almost every winter (we get power outages every winter)
I also have a top quality surge "strip" that the lathe is plugged into. But then I have another one the entertainment system, and another one on the computer and another one on the wife's electronic sewing machine and....
Surges being what they are multiple surge arrestors share the load of any surge and lower the chance any one will get too much energy and burn out.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
Thanks for the "two deep" surge protector idea. 
- I'll definitely investigate a whole house surge protector - additional benefits other than a lathe.

It will be a few more days before I can start making a custom stand for the Nova DVR XP and finally start making shavings.

I LOVE the picture of the cute baby in the big bowl! (My new challenge.)
- The bowl, not the baby. 
Smile