One for Wilbur, and those without a lathe
I would guess that they don't have a lathe available in the proper size, because they are out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2jP219H1Fw#t=368
I tried to do that a few years ago because I wanted to make a wooden flagpole. I gave up, it's harder than it looks. My main problem was the wood would warp as I was working it down...I was constantly chasing the warp. With properly seasoned wood it might be easier.
that is really nice, you couldn't do that on a lathe anyway without a lot of steady rests.  I have been known to cut tubing on my metal lathe, can be a really bad idea.  It's amazing how a small thing can shake a really big lathe if whirl takes over.
I know what you mean. I have some Big-leaf Maple that has gone from 5/4 to about 3/4, and keeps cupping the same way. The future end tables are back in the drying pile for another year, or two.

Random thoughts:

My first thought when seeing the small pole was, this guy is whittling a toothpick! On the large poles, I wonder if the central cored cavity and slit are intended for drying control, or something else? After a couple of passes on the long poles, he will lean back ... in relief, or prayer. I think it is relief saying, pull planes must have a definite technical limitation.
This is pretty much how spars and masts are made by the wooden boat people - at least some of them - out here on the Left Coast.
I'm assuming these are posts and beams for a timber frame structure. Anyone have a pic or link for finished project?
The quarter columns on many Philadelphia lowboys and highboys were done that way.
The bases and capitals turned on a lathe, but the shaft, hand planed.
My guess is that the care in planing is not so much to get a pole that’s perfectly round, but to create a surface so fine that adding finish wouldn’t be necessary. This is a common goal in Japanese architectural woodworking. (I’m assuming that this column is for a structure, or maybe for the world’s tallest 4 post bed.
Wink
Hail St. Roy, Full of Grace, The Schwarz is with thee.
Blessed art thou among woodworkers, and blessed is the fruit of thy saw, dovetails.
Holy St. Roy, Master of Chisels, pray for us sharpeners now, and at the hour of planing.
Amen.
$300 is a lot of Money!
giant Cypress: Japanese tool blog