Final prep for cherry (hand tool shop)
Listening to FWW Shop Talk Live while working in the shop and those guys said to sand cherry to prevent blotching, even after planning with a smoother, go back and sand 150, 220, 400, 600....in context, they were not talking about a production shop, they were talking about guys like me, non vocational wood workers, one off type of stuff.

This is not the my go to method, so of course I could be doing it wrong, but I don't go back and start a sanding process at 150-220 after I have just used a smoother.

However these are the same guys that built a Shaker workbench without dog holes, then when called on the lack of dog holes, argued that dog holes were not needed on woodworking benches.....

So how do other " non vocational" hand tool woodworkers prep cherry for finishing to prevent blotches?

Regards,
Andy
Mos Maiorum
For one thing, I don't sweat too much over cherry blotching.  I can never seem to get a perfect surface with planes alone, so I usually lightly sand with 220 grit. Not sure why one would need to go courser then that. Also, sanding with too fine a grit may cause more problems with blotching.
I sand cherry after planing it, but not past 220.  The best way I have found to prevent blotching is to wipe on coats of cut shellac and then use green Scotch-brite to smooth it.  You can stop there or put a topcoat of wipe-on or spray finish for more protection.  Some will just wax over the shellac.  I'm doing a cherry piece right now.
(11-01-2016, 10:27 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: I sand cherry after planing it, but not past 220.  The best way I have found to prevent blotching is to wipe on coats of cut shellac and then use green Scotch-brite to smooth it.  You can stop there or put a topcoat of wipe-on or spray finish for more protection.  Some will just wax over the shellac.  I'm doing a cherry piece right now.

^^^^^This.  Google "spit coat shellac"

I use about a one pound cut, actually less.  Dries quickly.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I agree. Plane to glass smooth. Lightly (very lightly) rough up with 220. Apply 1 lb (or less) cut  of de-waxed shellac, preferably blond mixed from flakes. Apply oil finish to heart's content. 

You'll be happy.
I found that a < 1# cut of dewaxed shellac lightly sanded back did a good job for me.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I do not sand unless I am staining. Shellac right off the plane or scraper if it's gnarly. 

If I'm staining I work up to 320. 600 seems excessive.