Unusual plumb bob with reel
This is the first example of this particular plumb bob I have seen. It is reversible, contains a string reel and is fully nickel plated. It is 6" tall and weighs about 1.5 lb. I have been unable to identify the maker or an associated patent after spending quite a bit of time reviewing all of the plumb bob news letters. Any thoughts or information would be much appreciated.

[attachment=504][attachment=501][attachment=499]

Attached Files Image(s)

Can't see your pics, but I'm guessing that the reel and longer line would indicate it's for masonry work.  Could also be used for timber framing vs. a spirit level.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Pictures fixed, hopefully
I can see the pics. Never saw the tool though.
I've got literally several hundred different plumb bobs in my "accumulation" and I've never seen one quite like that one. Nice find!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I don't know if this was ever made, but your plumb bob is real close:

http://www.google.com/patents/US2713211

2 Claims. (Cl. 33-216) This invention relates to a centering device particularly adapted for use in combination with the frame or chassis of a motor vehicle, and in particular a weight in the form of a plumb-bob having a pulley block on the upper end and a point extended from the lower end whereby with the pulley positioned to travel on a cord suspended with slack therein between two points the weight of the device will cause the pulley to travel to a point substantially midway between the two points from which the cord is suspended.
I like it. That seems to explain the small pulley, I didn't really think it was for storing the string.
The pics don't show the top, but from what I can see it appears solid without a hole to feed a string through so the bob would hang from the middle.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Thanks for the reference to the patent. There is a hole in the top so the plumb bob can hang normally. When first found it was assembled upside down and looked very unusual. I figured out later the top and bottom were interchangeable. I assume the upside down position was to lower the center of gravity and make it less susceptible of wind. I will post some more pictures tomorrow showing close ups of the reeling mechanism. Thanks to all for the help.
    [attachment=516][attachment=516][attachment=514][attachment=514]Adding additional pictures.

Attached Files Image(s)

"Self centering"
Now that could be downright handy.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com