Rusty water
(11-02-2016, 07:42 PM)robmaz Wrote: Thank you friends, I thought maybe water heater but couldn't understand why it wouldn't be producing rust in the sinks and shower in the same bathroom. But understanding now that tubs use bigger supplies it makes sense. I couldn't find a date on the water heater, I'll check with the old owner. Thank you all.  ROB

Have you flushed the water heater yet? If so what was the result?
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

not yet, just got home. Will deal with it this weekend. Should I flush all of it or just a few gallons?
(11-02-2016, 08:40 PM)robmaz Wrote: not yet, just got home. Will deal with it this weekend. Should I flush all of it or just a few gallons?

We;; if you have a floor drain near buy and can see the water coming out, till it looks clear, if into buckets, if they are white same thing. I rented an apartment that was vacant for 40 months and had dingy gray water out of an electric water heater at any point till I flushed it out. What is odd on yours it is only the bath tub.
As others have posted maybe some galvanized pipe on it. Still that should not go rusty in 16 years. Unless some dufiss used something none galvanized to it. Does the tub also have a shower diverter? If so, does it have rusty water come out of it? Freaken process of elimination.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

would go bad if not enough brass in between the copper and galvanized
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(11-01-2016, 10:03 PM)blackhat Wrote: First guess is a galvanized nipple on the tub spout. It's not the hot, you turn the hot tap on first and it flushes the rust out the spout.

This.

Pull the spigot and check the nipple. I'll betcha it's not copper. If this were happening all over the house, I'd think differently.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

"...and running the hot water for a long time doesn't seem to help. "

Do you mean after it runs a while it is still coming out rusty or it comes out rusty just when you first turn it on (every time- no matter how long it has run) then clears up every time?
It does not clear up at all no matter how long I've run it which has been for several minutes. Enough to make the wife forget about the bath
Curious, when did you last rain your water heater?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Rusty hot water (not cold water), which was most noticeable in a bath tub, was cured with a new 50 gallon water heater.  We put in the old one when we moved in, which was 14 years earlier, which is on the downhill side of the anticipated life curve.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Do the other sinks have rusty hot water.