Rusty water
(11-03-2016, 08:39 PM)robmaz Wrote: It does not clear up at all no matter how long I've run it which has been for several minutes. Enough to make the wife forget about the bath

It's not a pipe or fitting then.

It's Mr water heater time I'd bet.
(11-04-2016, 06:20 PM)daddo Wrote:  It's not a pipe or fitting then.

It's Mr water heater time I'd bet.

But why only at the bath tub? Unless is it is flow through the BT which is more then a sink. Still cant remember if he flushed the heater?
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

the flow into the tub is usually a full 1/2" everything else usually flows through 3/8" supply lines
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(11-04-2016, 08:31 PM)Bob10 Wrote: the flow into the tub is usually a full 1/2" everything else usually flows through 3/8" supply lines

True, but sinks and shower heads have a flow restricter in them for GPM, a tub does not.
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

haven't flushed the heater yet. On the list for this weekend. I'll let you guys know. Thanks again.
(11-04-2016, 09:39 PM)robmaz Wrote: haven't flushed the heater yet. On the list for this weekend. I'll let you guys know.  Thanks again.

Thanks, nothing I hate is a Tread with a problem, 100 opinions and possible correct answers and the OP never gives the finial result of what they found or what  worked to fix it.
Smirk

(11-04-2016, 09:18 PM)MikeBob Wrote: True, but sinks and shower heads have a flow restricter in them for GPM, a tub does not.

exactly the tub is the only thing with a large flow and with it comes the crap off the bottom of the tank
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(11-04-2016, 10:46 PM)Bob10 Wrote: exactly the tub is the only thing with a large flow and with it comes the crap off the bottom of the tank

Yep, the cold intake, AKA "drop tube" extends down into the heater near the bottom, the hot out take is near the top of the tank. The cold water gets heated near the bottom and flows up as the hotter water exits.
Sometimes the drop tube gets corroded away from its mounting at the top of the tank. Symptom of that is hot water for just a short bit and then cold water out of a hot water faucet setting. The cold just is up on top of the tank and and flows out the  hot line with the hot water in the tank below that cold water. Like a thermal barrier, since cold water is denser then hot water and is coming in about 10" from the hot out.
Smirk

Allright, so here's the report: I drained the hot water heater and there was a ton of iron (looking) sediment flowing out of it. the water started out as black then went into dark rust then rust. I let it fill up the tub and it stayed rusty. As far as I can tell it is 16 years old so I guess it's time. Now I need to figure out how to accomplish the next step. Thank you all for your input. ROB
Thanks for your comeback. I thought maybe MikeBob was going to stroke out there.
Raised 
He must not have anything else to do.
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020