Locating underground wires
ohio has e-dig think they want 48 hour notice
In my area the free locating services will only locate utility lines and pipes, not lines leaving your house and going into your yard for various reasons.   The cost to buy a locator is going to be well over a $1000,  suggest renting one.    Even using one the results are not cut and dried, a learning curve is involved.    Roly
That check from the state is only for public utilities. They don't check private lines of any kind. that's who marked the stuff that got destroyed (above post).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
There are some locators on Amazon for less than $100

It would be nice to know if they work down to 3 feet for buried electrical wires.

Duke
(11-03-2016, 05:51 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Most areas have a service who comes out to locate wires before you build. Here in MD it's Miss Utility. Not sure who does it in your state but it's usually free.

That's just the feed from the utilities though - they won't locate OP's wires for his outdoor branch circuits.
I am fairly certain that the post lamp on the front of my yard is not a documented buried wire.  I don't think calling would have helped.  It's been buried since the house was built in 1953.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Save your money on renting a locater!!

2 L shaped copper rods or solid electric wire will do the job!

Hold the short ends in your hands vertically and when the rods cross, your on top of a cable.

Works every time!
(11-10-2016, 09:14 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Save your money on renting a locater!!

Hold the short ends in your hands vertically and when the rods cross, your on top of a cable.

Works every time!

Maybe and me but not everybody can do it my wife and an excavator that I do that for it won't work.

Works every time!

I have some magic beans as well. I have seen several guys that claim it works but can never prove it. The science and results aren't there to support it. 

The best way to find them and most reliable is to plan out what you want to build and the wires will be riht where your foundations are. It's also where ever you decide to dig. 100% success rate on finding them with those methods.

Works every time!

If not, you're sure to find water.
Winkgrin