Replacement blade and chip breaker
Most of my bench planes are used Stanley's that have come from flea markets and ebay on occasions.  I have had good luck getting them tuned up and cutting extremely well.  All the planes I refurbished, I never had to replace a blade of chip breaker.  The blades that came with the planes certainly needed lapping and new bevels honed, but none of them were beyond repair.  However, I have read on several occasions that it is highly recommended that you outfit these old planes with either a new Hock, Veritas or LN replacement.  Is there that much more of a difference with these thicker blades?  I am tempted to get one, just to see for myself, but a new blade and chip breaker is a bit costly.  
Thanks

Scott
Can't speak to the chip breaker, but I'd put a new Lee Valley iron in one of my bench planes a couple of years back.  My son was helping us on one of the remodels we've done since I retired, and we were scribing and fitting cabinets against the irregular walls of This Auld Haus.  Not knowing that I'd put in the aftermarket iron, he commented that the plane was performing better than other planes he'd used.
You will not get a single answer to this question. 

My opinion is that the greatest advantage of a premium iron and chipbreaker is seen in the case where the existing ones are not fit for work.  Premium irons are easier to get to a functional state.  Once the back of the iron is flat so you can sharpen it readily, and the chipbreaker fits well, your plane can perform beautifully.  Frequency of sharpening is another factor that can come into play, depending on what sorts of things you plane.  For planing most US species there's no problem with O1 steel to solve.

I use mostly old Stanley blades, but do admit that among my common users I have one with a Hock blade and one with a Veritas PM-V11 blade.  I like these, but have no intention of swapping out the others.
I put PM-V11 irons and Veritas chip breakers in the planes that have been ground by Tablesaw Tom and I'm very happy.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
At $100 CDN for a LV blade and cap-iron for $10 fleamarket plane seems pricey, but after all that work to bring that find back , I fiquire it's worth it.  Someone suggested just the cap-iron.
A man of foolish pursuits
I'm pretty impressed with Ron Hock's O1 blades and chipbreakers.  He makes good A2 blades, but I think his O1 blades hold an edge a very long time.  Since I've already re-ironed all my vintage planes, I've not had a need to purchase any other option.  All this was before LN, LV, and Woodcraft came out with retrofit blades.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've found you don't need a new chipbreaker in vintage Stanley planes; so if the chip breaker is in good shape, tune it to match the iron and it will likely work for you.  I have perhaps 3 Hock O1 replacements with vintage breakers and they all work well for me.  $40 for a #4 or #5 replacement ain't that bad, and if you find you need the new breaker, then order it for another $30.

http://www.hocktools.com/products/bp.html
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
On a plane rebuilding frenzy, I noticed various manufacturers and over time had different ideas on what makes a adequate chipbreaker. I have a couple # 6s , a English Record and a Swedish Anchor, both from what I can gather, 1952ish. On the Record the cap iron is heavier, longer with a higher hump. Then there are a couple of  Stanley #7s, the 1947 has a longer cap iron then the later one. The Anchor has the flattest of them all. On a brand new LV BD #4 1/2 , the cap iron is pretty ordinary, nothing special like their Stanley replacement one they sell.  I have no idea what this all means.
A man of foolish pursuits
The key is the mating surface of the breaker to the back of the iron such that there is no light that shines between them when held up. Vintage or new. It takes some experience to get it right, with a file and stones.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Opinions will vary but my experience has been a thicker blade/caps does improve performance - but only somewhat.

You have to try it for yourself.

My prediction is after you've spent as much as the plane is worth, you won't be that impressed.