light switch ? Average age
just curious how long do they normally last?  Figure they're simple so figured a long time.  Had one go bad the other night.  Worked but if you pushed slowly at the top you could hear shorting if it wasn't pushed straight up.  Also wouldn't go on sometimes but if you touched it once in the on position it would go on.  Already replaced it everything looked good in the box and new switch works fine.  It was probably a cheapo, no name on switch.  Put a leviton in.  The other switch had been replaced about 8 years ago.

By straight up I don't mean pushing hard, but just pushing with finger more to right then centered.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
like anything else it all depends.  I have some that lasted 30+ years and some only a few.  All that is needed is one push too hard to crack the switch and over time it will crap out.  Then again that could have happened in the package
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

What Bob said

My house is 20 years old and the last couple months as I have been painting all the rooms as I paint a room I am replacing outlets and light switches and covers - figured its time.  All of them were working just getting old
Funny, I just replaced two, house 16 yrs old. My default replacement is Hubbell Pro series, much better than the bargain ones used ny the builder.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Except for a few I've replaced for cosmetic reasons and one that failed in a very humid condition, all the switches in my house are as old as it is--50 years.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
I tend to buy fixer-uppers and as I go through each room, I swap out the receptacles an switches. I'll buy the buld boxes of the big rectangle Lutron switches and receptacles. It just gives the house an updated look for resale. This particular house has had several loose connections and loose wire-nuts and I've only done three rooms so far. Stuff like that really irritates me.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Never remember a switch going bad. Receptacles, yes.
We usually replace for cosmetic after we've painted sometimes.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I had a 4-way switch go bad several years after the house was built.   Figured the electrician cut corners there like everywhere else...   bought a top of the line replacement and it's been fine ever since.   most of the big box stores have up to 3 "quality" levels and i never ever pick the cheapies..   it's not worth it; even if they're brand name.
i was up in the attic in this house doing work, it's floored with a stairs up to it. Dark out side, trouble light plugged in. Can't remember what I had plugged in. When to unplug it, saw a spark and the room went pitch black.
Laugh
Laugh Ok, I wasn't laughing at the time, cursed a little. For some reason the screw not used was out as far as it would go, receptacle if a small box and the screw touched the side.

In the basement I found some wires just hanging and hot.
mark
and Bob, thanks. That makes sense. This is the kitchen light and gets used quite a bit, plus probably abused too.
mark