light switch ? Average age
I can get a day, or a month on a tank of gas, it is a matter of how much I drive!!!!
Same with a light switch!!!
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Admiral and I must have had the same electrical contractor.

I've replace two failed light-switches in my ~16 year old house. Both were in low use locations: one controlled power to the gas furnace. One day the furnace wouldn't start..I pulled out the switch and it came out in little pieces.

The second switch controlled the lights in the attic. Hit the switch and the incandescent lights would come on, then die off about a second later. Pulled the switch..the body was all separating into individual pieces.

Must have been a Monday in the factory.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Furnace is supposed to be on a switch like this with a fuse adjacent 

[Image: 952436_usn.jpg]

[Image: Z_-6s0fo5oy.JPG]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

House built in 1965. Most of the receptacles are bad and need/have been replaced. Original light switches are the rocker type, and only one is iffy(seldom use that one).
(11-06-2016, 11:57 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Furnace is supposed to be on a switch like this with a fuse adjacent 

[Image: 952436_usn.jpg]

[Image: Z_-6s0fo5oy.JPG]

all my years in WI never seen one like that on a furnace, just a light switch in a metal box.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

funny I have never seen one without.  The fuse is a lower amp than you would see in a panel and the switch is rated for motors
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

The reason I joined the woodnet forum was because my ceiling fan had failed and I could not figure out the problem.  I got a lot of advice but finally called in an electrician.  The Lutron 3-way switch had failed.  It was about 8 years old.  

Most of the other switches in the house were installed when the house was built in 1953 and they all seem to work fine.

As a rule I select conventional Leviton light switches unless I need some special application.  But the digital timer switch (also Leviton) failed at about 4 years.  So it is not the company but the design that contributes to the long life.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(11-07-2016, 01:08 AM)MikeBob Wrote: all my years in WI never seen one like that on a furnace, just a light switch in a metal box.

Bob10 is in San Francisco. Everything there is funny.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

It allows for quick removal of power if something shorts and allows a tech to kill power within reach of the equipment no worries about somebody powering up at a distant panel

Phil Thien

Cool 

I've never seen one either. Looks like a good deal to have
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020