light switch ? Average age
(11-06-2016, 11:52 PM)MKepke Wrote: Admiral and I must have had the same electrical contractor.

LOL, I found out later from a neighbor that the electrician had an alcohol and drug problem.  I double check everything when given the chance.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-07-2016, 01:14 AM)Bob10 Wrote: funny I have never seen one without.  The fuse is a lower amp than you would see in a panel and the switch is rated for motors

I have a light switch (red, with a red wall plate) but it is no where near the circuit braker and has no fuse. 

Unfortunately the furnace switch is just 6" above the basement light switch and I woke up to no heat once.  The issue was quickly resolved by flicking the switch and I've added a lockout (without the lock) to prevent accidental switching of the furnace.

This particular cover was designed to protect workers from having a machine accidentally turned on while they were working on it.  It functions fine for my purposes.  The video shows how it is used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00192...PDKIKX0DER
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Never seen the fuse thing. Just had a new furnace installed last year and nothing like that was used. Switch with the typical red burner cover. I installed a safety guard also to prevent accidental shut offs. With todays electronics on the burners and specialty pumps, the last thing you want is a fuse to trip and find out you do not have one. Burner is on its owner breaker though.
John T.
(11-07-2016, 11:59 AM)Cooler Wrote: I have a light switch (red, with a red wall plate) but it is no where near the circuit braker and has no fuse. 

Unfortunately the furnace switch is just 6" above the basement light switch and I woke up to no heat once.

This seemed to be common many decades ago.  Red switch plate, at the top of the basement stairs. 

But even a guarded switch plate, with 'wings' flanking the toggle, would be effective to prevent accidental deactivation of the heating system. 

But remote switches aren't technically code compliant, unless the equipment is within direct view of the breaker/fuse panel. 

As to the fuse/switch combo, some units have an MOCP (maximum overcurrent protection value) of less than 15A, which is the smallest standard breaker size, and therefore require a local overcurrent device.  Which has to be a fuse, if the listing requirements state such.  But even if it didn't have the fuse, it would normally be installed on or near the heating equipment, to serve as a local disconnect, much like motor circuits.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
The switch/fuse plate is pretty slick.  I'm also in Wisconsin and have never seen one.  But fuses trip faster than breakers and it seems like a sensible idea to me.  Plus removing the fuse would prevent someone from knocking/playing with the switch while someone is working on the furnace.

I've never even SEEN a combo switch/fuse plate in the store, though.
Mr Google says to expect the following life expectancies:

Wiring--100 yrs
Service panel--60 yrs
Breaker--30 yrs
Switches/outlets--30 yrs
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I've had a batch of outlets fail, but there is a lot of abuse there.  The only switch I have seen fail is the one for the garbage disposal.  Never thought of a motor rated switch, but it makes sense.  I always get the best switches they have at the store, not sure they are motor rated though
I bought, renovated and sold a condo built in 1960 across the street from the ocean about 5 years ago.
Replaced the switches and receptacles which were original because they were dirty and/or paint splattered from being there all those years.
They were made in the USA and completely rebuildable. Reminded me of the units in the Campagnolo bicycle component sets (groupos).
Every unit was built from parts and could be disassembled and rebuilt.
Never seen anything like it.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(11-06-2016, 11:57 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Furnace is supposed to be on a switch like this with a fuse adjacent 

[Image: 952436_usn.jpg]

[Image: Z_-6s0fo5oy.JPG]

Have never seen one of those and they are not required outside CA obviously. However that item was designed and first built back in the 50s going by the construction and design. Wonder if they are just left over stock since only ca uses them. 

As for switch life.. Some last week's some last decades. Don't forget switches are a 25 cent part see they are made by the billions. The flat 80s style deco switches seem to fail more than the regular switch style though. Never have liked those deco switches as they are bulky looking and hard to find in the dark.
(11-07-2016, 12:43 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: The switch/fuse plate is pretty slick.  I'm also in Wisconsin and have never seen one.  But fuses trip faster than breakers and it seems like a sensible idea to me.  Plus removing the fuse would prevent someone from knocking/playing with the switch while someone is working on the furnace.

I've never even SEEN a combo switch/fuse plate in the store, though.

Once the fuse is removed, there is a shock hazard if someone closes the switch.  I wouldn't use it for that purpose.  Central heating equipment is supposed to be on its own circuit (NEC 422-7), so opening the breaker would be safer than removing the fuse, as backup to opening the disconnect switch.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"