Hot Water Heater
You might want to rethink the idea of running an extension cord and running off the inverter in your car to run the tankless water heater.   It uses way too much power for that.     Roly
About water heater degrading: Our well water is so hard that mineral builds up around the faucets and in the stool bowl. The heater is electric, and a few years ago the lower element burned out. When replacing it, it was evident that mineral flakes had built up so deep as to cover the lower element. I researched how much vinegar it would take to dissolve that much lime. Forget it, the heater is old and not worth the effort. I replaced the element by shoving it into the mineral flakes. The unit is in a guesthouse and is turned off much of the time, so I took my chances. That was several years ago. It's probably not very efficient, power-wise, but probably cheaper than replacing it.

When it does begin to leak, we'll look at the on-demand units, but oh the cost!
Water at 70 degrees is hot compared to water at 32 degrees, therefore technically  perhaps we can call it a hot water heater. 
Uhoh

Based on physics, there is no cold, only absence of heat (energy), therefore water is always more or less relatively hot.
Sarcasm

But "Water Heater" is the correct usage of the term.

(You can see why I drive my wife nuts sometimes.)
Crazy
I believe my Navien is about 4 amps running.
Thought he was talking electric, not gas since he said electric bill was lower.    My bad     Roly
(11-07-2016, 09:10 AM)Robert Adams Wrote:        Probably a good thing for that engineer. If the client has a problem with being corrected on terminology to the point he wants hhim replaced just think how bad it's going to be when the client has to deal with real issues. That engineer saved himself months of headaches hassle and high blood pressure.

Was his name Wally?....It sounds like something Wally would do...
Smirk