School me on replacing a driveway slab
I need to replace a broken driveway slab 10x12. I think it failed because of tree roots under the slab, so some digging and re-compaction will be called for.

So..farm out the concrete work or DIY? Is it reasonable to set and finish 1.5 yards coming off a ready-mix truck *as a near one-man show*? I'll get some help placing the concrete and screeding it, but the finishing will be on me.

I'll get some quotes too, but from the preliminary estimates it looks like there could be a hefty difference between materials ($400) and 'all in' (~$1K).

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Hard to say with the info given.  I would remove the concrete and see what's under it.  Root removal will take a bit of time hard to say without seeing them and I like to go deeper by a few inches to add a few inches of rock before pouring as it helps stabilize the base.  I would probably do the tear out myself see what's what and go from there.  Probably do prep too but I can't do much more than a rough finish so I would bring in help for the pour and finish.  In my place I used pavers because I wanted the look and drainage I added 6"+ base under the driveway all pitched away from the house.  I don't know your experience but pitch matters on most jobs
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Placing concrete (yes, placing is the correct term) is the hardest work you'll probably ever do. It's no picnic, believe me.
My deciding factor is how "neat" I need this work to be. 

When we were in the 'burbs, I would never attempt to do it myself.  I'm not particularly experienced in concrete work, and as mentioned above, it's hard.  And the chances to have a good-looking driveway at the end of the DIY project would be stacked against me.  I'd 'fess up, write the check, and get it done quickly.

However, now that I live in on a rural acreage, if I needed something like a parking pad for a trailer and I wasn't busting out old concrete, then I'd tackle the DIY.  And if I did have to bust out concrete, as long as I had sufficient equipment available to break it into manageable pieces, I still might do it, depending on timing.
10 by 12 isn't not that much. its a driveway and im thinkin youre not lookin for glass smooth for it so id say 1 man could do it if that 1 man has did some surfin and studying on it. its not rocket science, but possible to cause damage when finishing- damage that will show up in the future.

getting the old slab out will be the most labor intensive part.
might want to rent a compactor for where the tree root were.
Depending on what finish you want on the slab.   If you want swirls it will take time to do.   If you want a broom finish it can be done by yourself.      The compaction of the dirt under the slab after digging up roots is important.   The layer of rock under the slab is very important as far as drainage.   I would screed it, bull float it, edge it, and broom it.     Just remember your time is limited depending on temps.    
 If you are in a area that uses salt on the roads definitely use a sealer/curing agent on it.    The new concrete will be damaged by salt that drips off of cars.   
 Suggest not driving on it for at least 7 days.      Roly
It is pretty well documented that properly installed concrete doesn't have tree root problems...so if the tree is causing the upheaving, the install is the real root of the problem.  If there are not roots under there, then the install was really bad!

If the tree is really close and the roots are going to be a major factor, there are some alternate construction practices...
Where is Yucholian when you need him?

At any rate, don't even think of coming back a year from now and telling us about the cracks you have in your driveway.  
Winkgrin 

10 x 12 really is not very big.  If it were me I would demo the existing section, dig it down a few inches deeper, fill back to where I want it with class II (road bed), set in some bar and then conscript a couple of buddies into helping me pour and finish it.  Figure one Saturday to demo and prep and one Saturday to place.  And at 10 x 12 I might just mix on site too.

Concrete is more brawn than brain.  It is just a question of how hard do you want to work.
I broke up something just a bit bigger than that in Sac last year temps around 100 took a couple of hours to break and load in truck with a long run on wheelbarrow but I have to admit unloading at the landfill took almost as long because I was too hot and tired
Laugh
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

$600 = you don't hurt your back, or worry about disposal or renting equipment.

I would shop around for some more quotes.  I had a 24X36 carport slab done for $3000 concrete included.

BTW, any reasonably competent construction guy can do a driveway job you don't need a professional concrete company.  Its basically, pour, screed off, and broom finish.

If its doable $ wise, hire a "coupla guys" --  at least to bust up the concrete and haul it off.